Tuesday, August 23, 2005

What MP's read on holiday!









(Courtesy of wikipedia.org)
Read on the BBC Website this morning about MP's reading habits whilst on holiday.
Obviously the 'Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown is the No 1 book, but I suspect that was mentioned because it is trendy.
But there is little of the obvious, nothing too high brow (well high-brow fiction anyway), and nothing about the 900 page novel they have been trying to read for some years and have never got past page 76 (which most of us have gone through). It is as if they are listing what they think their constituents want them to read! Although I am sure some of the comments are genuine.
One former MP I worked alongside (In that I worked in his campaign team but was employed by the regional party), Tony McWalter, is a philosophy lecturer by profession and I can easily imagine him taking a book on Immanuel Kant on holiday with him and what MP's can do with right now is something that is relaxing but intellectually stimulating for them.
And what am I, a simple party member, reading right now!
'Memory and Identity' by Pope John Paul II, 'Last Book to Woodstock' by Colin Dexter, and some book on the legends of King Arthur.I have also recently finished 'The Closed Circle' by Jonathan Coe.
Hey, I'm a self-confessed biblophile!

4 comments:

Kerron said...

Not that I'm one to be bitter about a story that has been widely reported in the press but can I point out - given your recent outburst about someone copying an idea from your site - that perhaps you should have visited:

http://kerroncross.blogspot.com/2005/08/read-all-about-it.html

Or perhaps you had already?

;-)

Paul Burgin said...

Yes but I checked the BBC Website first thing, I just saved my posting until later. I wasn't going to let a simple scoop stop me!

Kerron said...

Excuses, excuses.

PS Presume you've heard Ken Clarke has had his nose broken on a bird watching trip.

Make your own jokes.

Paul Burgin said...

No I didn't
Lets face it, Clarke is the Dennis Healey of the Conservatives, brash, popular, but disliked by some small but significant grassroots members. Mercifully they will have another 'Michael Foot'
Well one hopes...