Saturday, September 17, 2005

Anniversaries!


Over the last few weeks, much has been made about the bi-centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar and it has sort of reminded me of my maternal Grandad, whose picture is on the left here!
Next Friday (23rd) would have been his 100th birthday. It feels a bit strange to think of a Grandparent having been born a century ago, particually as it doesn't seem that long since he died, even though it was seven years ago last April.
So why the connection with Trafalgar?
Well his name was Nelson Taft and my Great-Grandparents called him Nelson because of the centenary celebrations of, you've guessed it, Trafalgar.
He was also a great friend and a loyal man who spent years working in a factory just outside Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. He would have got a staff job towards the end of his career, but he ruined his chances by his continuous defence for fellow workers who he felt were not treated fairly.
He was also a lifelong supporter of the Labour Party and referred to Margaret Thatcher as a 'toerag', although he did recall with pride his growing up in Grantham and helping to send deliveries to a certain Alderman Roberts. The two Conservative leaders he did like were Edward Heath and John Major and two of his Labour heroes were John Smith and Harold Wilson.
The two Labour people he was ambivelent towards though were Tony Benn: "Of course I don't agree with everything he says" and Tony Blair: "Why isn't he in the Tory Party?"
He was also one of the longest living people in our family (he lived to be 92) and remembered the Suffragettes campaigning in Grantham, a Zepellin flying overhead during World War I, to his having Sky Television in his last years.
Incidentally whilst looking for a photo of Grandad, I came across a photo of this individual which was taken around the summer of 1976.

Bit of a cheeky feller isn't he ;)!

2 comments:

Bloggers4Labour said...

Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find an email address.

Paul, could you check your Blogger settings (especially the time zone)? The reason is that when B4L picks up your posts they're all dated several hours in the future and are therefore hogging the top of the "recent posts" table.

Thanks!

Drop me a line if you like - contact form is on the site...

Paul Burgin said...

Apologies for that!
Its just that when I am writing my entries, the time given is always N.American time so I have changed the time as I write my entries!

Paul