Friday, October 21, 2005

The Candidate

(North Herts Labour Party)

It looks like I will be the Labour Candidate for Baldock East, following the resignation of the sitting Liberal Democrat Councillor.
This will be the third time I have stood for District Council (The previous two occasions in Baldock Town), and I am looking forward to the challenge. Particually as it is a three-horse race at the moment.
For those of you who don't know, Baldock East is part of North Hertfordshire District Council, and the town itself is situated near the borders between Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, and Cambridgeshire. It is just off Jn 10 on the A1 and is on the WAGN King's Cross to Cambridge, via Stevenage line.
When Labour first contested the seat in 1999 we were within 150 votes of victory and the Lib Dems were in third place. Labour decided not to field a candidate in 2003 and the Lib Dems won by just over forty votes, so there is a lot to play for.
It is also a Ward mainly comprised of houses that have been around for about twenty years. Most of it's residents are commuters and it has a lovely shop in the centre of the Clothall area.
Also, as it is a by-election, there will be more grassroots members actively campaigning than usual. So for those Labour activists who are reading this, I need your help, if possible, with canvassing, leafleting, telephoning etc.. I look after those who help me campaign and for those who come to help from another area I return the favour when I can, as one good turn deserves another ;).
BTW Apologies for the above front-covers of my previous personal manifestos ;-), like nearly everyone else I don't think I look good in photos.

7 comments:

Kerron said...

What's the betting that the Lib Dems think it is a 'two horse race'?

;-)

Kerron said...

PS Having looked at:

http://baldock.blogspot.com/2005/10/so-farewell-then.html

Can I ask 3 questions:

1) Why did this guy stand down?

2) If he won in 2003 and has been a councillor for 3 years, is it actually now 2006 and I've slept through a few months somewhere?

3) Is he actually your dad?

We need some answers! :-)

Paul Burgin said...

Well the Lib Dems will have to face a three-horse race.

1) Geoff Hollands stood down because he moved to Milton Keynes

2)That was meant as a figure of speech. 2003 being the first year for example. Will change it though so as to avoid any possible confusion.

3) Geoff Hollands is NOT my Dad. How could you accuse me of being related to someone elected to office from another political party. I have never made any such slurs myself ;)!

Kerron said...

No, you just want to marry one!

Paul Burgin said...

That is unfair, I only said I found Hannah Hedges fanciable!
Hang on, you didn't mention Hannah Hedges did you!
Think I will just hide somewhere in shame now ;)

Kerron said...

We all know your game. ;-)

Paul Burgin said...

What, winning in Baldock East!;) That's no game.