Friday, December 30, 2005

In Musical Praise of: Stevie Wonder

(wikipedia.org)

And before it even enters your mind, I don't think 'I Just Called to Say I Love You' is a particually good song.
But that said, he does have discerning musical talent and an ear for melody, even if occasionally he goes OTT with saccharine. A boy genius signed to Motown in his early teens, he later made his own niche with Music of My Mind, Innervisions, and Songs in the Key of Life, the last being songs I can remember as a small child (The intro to Sir Duke still makes me smile, although I am blase about the rest of the song, and Isn't She Lovely is one of my favourite love songs).
He is past his peak, and no longer has the drive and force he had in the 1970s with songs like 'You Are the Sunshine of My Life', 'He's Misstra Know It All' (which, incidentally, is about the then US President, Richard Nixon) and 'Living for the City' but he is certainly one of the main musical influences of the last fifty years.

2 comments:

Skuds said...

He is one of the few musicians who can be called a genius without any exaggeration.

Those 70s albums where he played all the instruments are still good to listen to now, and Living For The City has lost none of its edge 30 years on.

I even liked Conversation Peace from the 90s, though nobody else seems to.

Paul Burgin said...

Well he has a keen ear, so maybe (and I am in no way being humourous or unkind), there are advantages to his blindness