Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Radio 4 UK Theme

(BBC Online)

For those who know, the medley of music that comes on Radio 4 at about 5:30AM every morning, as an announcement between the BBC World Service broadcasts finishing, and the daily Radio 4 broadcasts starting.
It's been around for thirty-two years, and for the times I had to get up about 6AM, it was a confirming comfort about what the time was, without fumbling about for my watch, as I am sure it is for many others.
Now the BBC have ditched it, and almost without warning.
Why? I am not too happy about this, and neither are a lot of other people. I mean, the medley includes Danny Boy, What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor?, Scotland the Brave, Rule Britannia, Men of Harlech, Greensleeves, Londonderry Air and Early One Morning.
And if that doesn't get one up and about in the morning, what can!
Actually, perhaps it is best that no one answers that.
But seriously, why ditch a tradition that is harmless and which many listeners, including myself, are rather happy with.

2 comments:

Jo said...

It might interest you to know that Tory MP Philip Davies and Labour MP John Spellar tabled motions with a third planned by Austin Mitchell. [more]

Paul Burgin said...

I know Austin Mitchell planned one, but not the two Tory MP's
Thanks for letting me know