Tuesday, March 28, 2006

In Musical Praise of: Billy Bragg

(wikipedia.org)
To be honest for a long while I didn't like Billy Bragg . I rarely, if I bothered at all, to listen to his songs and I wrote him off as one of those irritating people on the hard left.
Then I remember watching highlights at Glastonbury one year on Channel 4 and saw him perform "Milkman of Human Kindness", and then I made the mistake of meeting him at a couple of political events and he turns out to be quite a nice guy.
At round about the same time I started hearing some of his stuff and seeing him perform at Greenbelt and I found that I quite like some of his songs.
It would be nice if there was more to the production of his albums than just him and an electric guitar, but that does somewhat help his folk image and his songs do tend to be thoughtful, considerate, witty, and yet hit the point without resorting to Lennonesque sarcasm.

2 comments:

Stuart Douglas said...

Plus he's the greatest writer of love songs this country has produced in twenty years, which makes up for the occasionally clumsy didacticism of his earlier political songs.

Paul Burgin said...

Not sure about greatest, but definetly one of the best