Saturday, April 29, 2006

School Reunion Review (Warning Spoilers)

(bbc.co.uk/doctorwho)

Meeting old faces from the past is always an interesting experience, and it isn't the first time Doctor Who has brought back a companion from the past, or even two for that matter! But bringing back two of the most remembered companions from the Tom Baker era was going to either work or not.
I was quite pleasntly surprised and thought it was a good story. From the chilling, but languid, Mr Finch, superbly played by Anthony Head (The phrase he said at the very beginning of the episode "It's nearly time for lunch!" was enough to make my blood run cold when you could guess (accuratley as it turned out) what he was about to do!), to the rundown, but still useful K9 (I think fans felt more sad about him nearly sacrificing himself for the safety of the children than they did for Adric sacrificing himself for the whole planet) The story was a delightful combination of The Demon Headmaster meets, erm, well Doctor Who really!
It was also good to explore the human aspect of the episode, with the what's, why's and wherefore's as to the Doctor having the need for companions but not letting anyone get too close to him. A revealing bit iswhen he mentions his fear of being close to humans and outliving them, although whether this is to do with those few companions he had who were killed off or whether it is to do with him being half-human, there is no further info.
And heck, have revealed I am a fan as well! :/
Anyhow it was all good fun. A metal dog, a sophisticated villain, a few unnerving moments. Just what the Doctor ordered! ;)
Besides which, when are we going to see Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart again!

4 comments:

Tim Roll-Pickering said...

I think fans felt more sad about him nearly sacrificing himself for the safety of the children than they did for Adric sacrificing himself for the whole planet

I don't. I was cheering when K9 was blown up.

Then at the end I went, "Oh My God. You didn't kill K9. You BASTARDS!"

Paul Burgin said...

lol! Not a fan of the dog then!

Skuds said...

I thought the Doctor's line about "you can spend teh rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the est of my life with you" was very reminiscent of the original Highlander film.

Paul Burgin said...

Yes, rather like moments of last weeks episode being reminiscent of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"