Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Vox Pops Part IV

For when I have a very busy day.

Pope to possibly reconsider ruling on condoms
(Hat tip to Tim Roll-Pickering)
As mentioned on the BBC Website.

(AFP)
Am rather pleased if this is true, if only because it seems like common sense. I agree that in an ideal world, abstinence is the answer and those who can, should. But such are the dangers of HIV/AIDS that I think it would be inhumane to consider otherwise.






Cameron in Norway

(Press Association)
Wanted to mention this for several days. Bit of a waste of time, and indeed energy, to make a point on carbon emissions which could and can be made back in the UK







Waste of Money
(BBC Online)
And you thought Cherie's gross spending on hair was bad!
I think Michael Howard spending £3,600 on make up and Charles Kennedy spending £2,000 on cosmetics and nearly £5,000 on suits is a bit off!
My general view on these incidents are twofold. One, if the opposition parties and Conservative supporting newspapers start throwing stones like these, they ought to be a bit careful about glass houses. Secondly I think politicians from all parties who waste large amounts of money on trivial things, as opposed to serious policy, need a bit of a wake up call!
I do admit however that I did have my hair cut at the start of this election campaign, but I spent nearly £10 and the money was my own.

Grandstand

I don't often watch it, I have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon, but the thought of entering a room with a TV at about 12:15 on a Saturday lunchtime, with the channel switched to BBC 1 and not hearing that familiar theme tune. Well it will be another bit of a simple mainstay that has lasted for most of our lives that will no longer be with us! :/


Peter Law dies

(BBC Online)
Was a bit of a shock to read just now, and was not altogether impressed with his actions last year (although I am pleased that it sort of reopened the debate on all-women shortlists), but was saddened to read of his death

2 comments:

the dĂșnadan said...

Am rather pleased if this is true, if only because it seems like common sense. I agree that in an ideal world, abstinence is the answer and those who can, should. But such are the dangers of HIV/AIDS that I think it would be inhumane to consider otherwise.

I don't think you will find the Pope calling the use of contraception by those with HIV/AIDS as common sense. Cardinal Martini called their use a 'lesser evil'. And that is what contraception uis - an evil. The Church stands for what is best for people, not second best. She is no more interested in half measures as Jesus was. He told His follows to pick up their cross and follow Him. Not simply follow Him without any burden until it got too rough or difficult, at which point they could go and get some relief. I could see the Pope saying something like 'condoms are an evil but may be used to save lives' (like potentially lethal doses of medicine can be used if the first objective is to relieve pain), but I would doubt very strongly indeed that he will say 'we got it wrong. Condoms are alright.' Condoms are not alright. What would be 'inhuman' would be to lie by saying that they are.

Paul Burgin said...

Well I agree with you on what stance the Catholic Church will make.
Personally I cannot see a problem with contraception, Biblically, theologically, or healthwise (although in some cases, some forms of contraception, such as the Pill, might not be good for the health of some individuals). But I can see good reasons why some disagree with it, namely that it might encourage promiscuity, as wlell as the fact that some interpretations of scripture suggest that it is wrong.