Friday, May 19, 2006

The Blessing...

(wikipedia.org)
One of the books I am reading at the moment is Garry O'Connor's biography of Pope John Paul II.
The reason I mention this is that last night I was reading about his visit to Great Britain in 1982 and I came across this paragraph which made me smile:

"In Liverpool the Pope visited both the Anglican and Catholic cathedrals. Along the route of his British Leyland lorry decked out as a popemobile, anti-papal Paisleyites waved placards on which was painted: ANYONE BLESSED BY THE POPE IS CONDEMNED TO HELL. The Pope turned towards one, and with a mischevious twinkle in his eye gave the Paisleyites a blessing."

You've got to hand it to those Paisleyites for their imagination! ;)

2 comments:

Kanakaberaka said...

I loved the annecdote about blessing the Paisleyites, Paul.
I still remember the book "Illustrisimi" by Albino Luciani (aka Pope John Paul I) which you recommended on your original Mars Hill website.

Paul Burgin said...

Hi kanakaberaka, long time no see
I do mean to pop by the C.S. Lewis website but I was somewhat busy at one time and you know how it is, the longer you leave it..
Anyways will pop by Into the Wardrobe before too long! :)