Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This Week


Went to the monthly CSM Youth Meeting last night. This time the location was in a room at The Red Lion Pub in Whitehall, where our guest was Frank Field MP, who was giving a talking on welfare.
There were mixed reactions to his talk, from some disagreement on some of his views (I had mixed feelings about it myself), but it was certainly thought provoking and we discussed it for a while after he left, amongst such deep and theologically thought provoking topics as a church in St Marylebone which is full of attractive girls and me spotting a Westminster colleague from my days in working for Geraint Davies and popping across to say hi!
But anyway, back to Frank. What came to the front of my mind in all this is that we can talk about reforming this and reforming that and debate and agree and disagree until we are blue, or red, in the face. What I think is a crucial point is that in reforming any system we need to see a more open heart and a change in attitude towards a system by people in general. Otherwise you are just papering over the cracks. Politicians have their work cut out here, but social groups and faith based communities also need to contribute towards this in a more positive way. Particually some of my fellow evangelicals who seem to think making the church pure is more important than actively being involved with the downtrodden in society and getting politically involved.
Anyway it's going to be a busy week for me, evening wise. I have a Church event to go to tomorrow, a Labour Party CLP GC meeting on Wednesday, and the launch of the Euston Manifesto on Thursday, so there well may be less blogging from me this week.
Of which I am sure you are all greatful ;)

7 comments:

Barry Beef said...

i thought all the girls in Geraint Davies' office were really easy? can u confirm?

Paul Burgin said...

Ooh! I worked for Geraint between Feb and June 2004. Ruth and Michelle were lovely, and very good looking, but I honestly don't know what they were like in Westminster, and nor would I tell you as they were very kind to me when I would sometimes help out in their Westminster office! Loyalty and all that don't you know.
Incidentally it was Michelle I met last night, she now works for Nick Angier

Anonymous said...

I can confirm that both Ruth amd Michelle were known as the westminster bicycles.

Paul Burgin said...

Thats unkind! And how convienient that you make those comments anonymously

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows Burgin loves Ruth and Michelle - but which one will he choose to be his wife.

Barry Beef said...

I thought Ruth and Michelle were living together now? Girls will be girls.

Anonymous said...

Ok Burgin if you had to, who would it be - Ruth or Michelle (and you can only have one you greedy bugger).