Thursday, June 22, 2006

Going On a Diet!

(Hansonproducts.com)
Recently I braved myself to go before that bathroom oracle, which can make you feel happy or depressed - The scales!
It decreed, even after checking twice, that I was thirteen stone.
I feared this would happen. Lately my stomach has been expanding in a way I find embarrasing, and I have noticed a hint of double chin in the mirror. Gone are the days I had, up until the age of twenty-five, when I could eat anything and everything and not put on weight. My metabolism has been wreaking smug vengance.
Well no it hasn't quite! It's my fault for being a greedy guts and having a liking for too many snacks (usually the wrong things such as biscuits, chocolate, crisps, lots of fizzzy drinks etc..). In fact, if I still went on a semi regular pilgrimage to McDonald's (which just about ended after watching Super Size Me), the situation might be worse.
I wonder if I should be bothered, after all I am not bothered about anyone else's weight (unless they are definetly over twenty stone and then I seriously worry for their health), so why do I get mildly depressed about any sign of weight on me? If anything I should be greatful that I don't look as I did at eighteen, which was that of someone who looked like they were stranded on a desert island or a hostage just released after several months or years of incarceration.
Well there is my health I suppose. I don't eat enough healthy food and am awareof the fact that, now I am thirty, I should really be taking more care of myself. I still remember that night a few years ago, waking up with an extremely bad attack of indigestion only weeks after seeing a documentary about Richard Beckinsale, and convinced I was having a heart attack (there have been cases of people being rushed to hospital with severe indigestion, under the belief that they are having a heart attack, and believe me it is no laughing matter).
Am I being a bit over anxious? Well perhaps, but it is no bad thing to be concerned about your health and to lose a bit of weight, so (inspired by Lola's blogging on losing weight) what I intend to do is lose a few pounds (until I am near twelve stone), and keep you posted on my progress. That will give me a sense of responsibility and it will give you a bit of boredom, I mean entertainment!

27 comments:

Lola said...

i appear to have inspired a swathe of labour diet blogs. not sure this is a good thing or not!

good luck though!

what diet you doing?

Paul Burgin said...

Basically trying to avoid snacks during peak times of the day, eating less, and drinking more water and exercising more
Oh and trust me, your example is a good thing!

Lola said...

yes water drinking is effective.

as is skimmed milk (although it mings) in tea, as you would not believe the fat in semi.

Dieters 4 Labour!

Paul Burgin said...

Thankyou for reminding me, I loathe skimmed milk! :(
Will try to be more sparing with it for now. Obviously I can't cut it, because milk's important, but..

Lola said...

i also advocate the regular utilisation of porridge.

Paul Burgin said...

I'll bear that in mind!
Any other suggestions?

Lola said...

yes. sent this to a friend recently. is tailored to weightwatchers but as that is basically just a posh way of counting calories it still applies ( for points, read calories)



my advice is cook, cook, cook

low fat ready meals seem great but don't fill you up - make stuff yourself.



abolish all use of olive oil and other fats - invest in large amounts of fry-lite, which is point free



lots of veg are point-free - tomatoes, mushrooms etc are great for filling you up for no points - eg, you can make a no point pasta sauce that tastes lovely with lots of tinned tomatoes



avoid cheese where possible



plan, plan, plan - decide what you're going to eat at the beginning of the day - ie, 3 points for brek, 6 for lunch, 8 for tea etc etc, then you can use the rest for snacking



treat sized milky ways give you a wee burst of chocolate for just 1.5 points



never eat anything if you don't know how many points - eg if there is cake in the office it's ok to have some, but work out the points and put it in your planner - never eat it and then go 'oh it was only a little bit of cake it can't be that bad', as all the little things add up and result in zero weight loss



there are no points in egg white, but 1.5-2 in a yolk - whisking egg whites can make a nice 0 point omelette



weigh, weigh, weigh - always weigh your food before you cook it, never guess how much pasta etc you're eating as you'll prob get it wrong



booze has lots of points. is an issue.

Paul Burgin said...

Well I don't drink much and I don't like cheese so that won't be difficult
Will try and form a plan based on your suggestions.
As for this morning so far. One smoked salmon sandwich (no time for toast) and one banana, plus lemon squash
At this moment I am in a cafe with an iced latte on side (which on reflection is not necessarily a good idea! :(
I will have a sandwich for lunch and inend to exercise this evening
(I know it should be first thing, but I don't seem to have enough time on my hands)

Lola said...

aaaaaaaah but it depends what you put in the sandwich!

you really should have have asked me about this i am a dietary fascist, and will refrain from being any more 'helpful'!

i never run in the mornings on work days though, too much effort, rather stay in bed

Lola said...

that should read 'should NOT have asked me about this'

Paul Burgin said...

But isn't smoked salmon good for the heart?

Lola said...

yes. and low in calories. also minging.

Paul Burgin said...

I will try and do better!

Lola said...

i think it being minging is a matter of personal taste, rather than dietary fact.

Kerron said...

I remember during the General Election getting a congratulatory e-mail from the Labour Party's regional press officer about how much weight I'd lost during the campaign.

My "diet" technique was simple. Avoid fad diets. Eat less. Exercise more.

It's a winner. :-)

Paul Burgin said...

It's what I'm trying! ;-)

Lola said...

believe it works better for boys than girls!

Paul Burgin said...

Possibly! I can see what you mean, or at least I think I can!

Paul Burgin said...

Have lost three pounds!
Yeh! :)
Just another week and I might reach my target

Lola said...

you have lost 3 pounds in 3 days?!

Paul Burgin said...

In a week
I think the fact I skipped a couple of heavy meals helped, plus less snacking to just about the point of zero!

Lola said...

WW always tells me off when I lose more than 2 pounds.

A healthy and sustainable loss is 1-2lbs a week.

Hahahaha.

Paul Burgin said...

:(
And I thought you were my friend on this!

Lola said...

well if i have to suffer ww telling me off then so do you.

clearly is nonsense though.

Paul Burgin said...

What! WW?

Lola said...

weightwatchers

Paul Burgin said...

Same thing surely!