Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lords Speaker

(BBC Online)

I have always held the House of Lords in admiration (their style of doing things etc.. ), but for the fact that it needs to be more representative of the people.
That said there is a very minor piece of reform that is currently taking place, and that is the election of "Lords Speaker", replacing the role of the Lord Chancellor.
This is something I have agreed with for a long time, as the Lord Chancellor is also, at present, head of the Judicary and a member of the Cabinet. This can lead to all sorts of problems, perceived or otherwise.
So hopefully, with the current Lord Chancellor retiring his office from the role of head of the Judicary, and relinquishing the post of Lords Speaker, things will get somewhat ironed out.
There are nine candidates competing for the post. They are (as mentioned on the BBC Website):

  • Lord Boston of Faversham, a crossbencher and former MP and minister
  • Lord Elton, a former Conservative government minister
  • Baroness Fookes, Conservative peer and former Commons deputy speaker
  • Lord Grenfell, the chairman of the Lords European Union Committee
  • Baroness Hayman, former Labour MP and minister
  • Countess of Mar, independent peer who has been a deputy chairman of committees since 1997
  • Lord Redesdale, Liberal Democrat frontbench spokesman and scion of the Mitford family
  • Lord Richard, former Labour Leader of the Lords
  • Viscount Ullswater, a Conservative peer and a current deputy chairman of committees.

I have only heard of four of these people - Elton, Hayman, Mar, and Richard and would be happy if any of them got the post. But I know a bit more about Lord Richard than the others and see him as ideal, so if I were a Peer I think I would vote for him.

Will keep you posted on developments

4 comments:

Tim Roll-Pickering said...

If their Lordships still think the hereditary system can be useful then Ullswater might be in with a chance - his great grandfather (from whom he inherited the title directly) was Speaker of the House of Commons between 1905 and 1921.

Paul Burgin said...

Well we shall see!
Is that who you would vote for if you were a Peer?

Tim Roll-Pickering said...

It wouldn't be my reasoning. I'm honestly not sure who I would chose, though I'm not sure if I think an ex Leader of the House is necessarily a good idea.

Paul Burgin said...

I can see your point, although Selwyn Lloyd was once Leader of the House of Commons and he became a respected Speaker