Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Some Anniversaries

(BBC Online)
Yesterday saw the thirty-sixth anniversary of Sir Edward Heath becoming Prime Minister and I noticed something mildly interesting.
Some Tories remember the date the Sainted Margaret was first elected Prime Minister, and yet yesterday, hardly any Conservative blogger mentioned Heath.
This in spite of the fact that he was, as Margaret Thatcher charitably put it last year, a pionner of monetarist policies. That he snatched victory from the jaws of defeat (Labour were expected to win that election) and helped damage the Labour Party into a tussle with the hard left which took many years to recover from. Amazing!
Still he was responsible for the Three Day Week, and many Thatcherites have a pathological loathing of him!
Anyway, as anniversaries are mentioned, I thought I ought to point out that in less than a weeks time, Mars Hill will be celebrating it's first anniversary. To celebrate, I thought that I would ask you guys what you would like me to blog about. Whatever is the majority view I will blog on the said subject.
(I have a horrible feeling I might regret this ;) )

7 comments:

Andrew said...

I suggest 'good things about Margaret Thatcher'. Or, alternatively, 'breasts'.

:-)

C4' said...

Heath was a self-important traitor. Only Blair is has plumpted lower depthes of treason.

Paul Burgin said...

Could someone come up with other ideas! ;)

Andrew said...

There's something wrong with my ideas? I am hurt :-)

Paul Burgin said...

No, well it's just the fear of saying good things about Margaret Thatcher or discussing breasts! :o

Andrew said...

Well, you can combine the two if you want...

I so wish I hadn't thought that.

Paul Burgin said...

Erm, well..
So reminds me of that Austin Powers joke!