Monday, June 26, 2006

The Wind that Shakes the Barley!

(Britfilms.com)
I have yet to see the film, but I have been somewhat intrigued by the negative criticism of the film.
I suspect some of it is simply because a) Ken Loach directed it and b)It is about the IRA during the Irish struggle for independence, so some put two and two together and come up with c) that it must therefore glamourise the IRA.
But does it! I have read a variety of reviews on this film and apparently the IRA are not seen as saints. That they are seen in the film as guilty of some abuses themselves. It also, which some commentators conveniently ignore, show the atrocities committed by the Black and Tans. This is a factor in the Irish War of Independence which is an undeniable fact, and one which brings shame on our UK history.
So I think, given the chance, I will see the film, but whilst I am no fan of Ken Loach's politics, and hold no truck whatsoever with the IRA (speaking in part as someone whose Dad worked in London during some of their worst bombing campaigns there), I think that some of the attacks on this film are somewhat unfair. Particually when some, like Simon Heffer, have admitted that they haven't seen the film.
And whilst it has flashed across my mind, I totally agree with this comment from The Poor Mouth

6 comments:

Lola said...

I am very much looking forward to seeing this. As it is the Daily Mail having a pop at it, I expect I will like it.

Paul Burgin said...

Very true! The Daily Mail makes a good indicator on what is political good taste, i.e. if they say one thing, usually the other is probably true.

jams o donnell said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog in this post. I took one look at the Indy article and thought "you old fool!"

I am looking forward to seeing the film myself.

Paul Burgin said...

Tis okay, I saw the article as well and thought the same. Your blog entry reminded me!

Shaun (ed.) said...

Ken Loach is certainly Britain's version of Michael Moore. Like self-haters, they love to use every oppurtunity to trash their own countries (ignoring any positive attributes), whilst denying that the same flaws could possibly exist elsewhere.
I've seen three of Loach's movies and they were all extremely dire. Typical of his propagandistic one-sidedness, the last one I saw, Ae Fond Kiss, implied that all religious people are fanatical bigots. A friend of mine went to see The Wind That Shakes the Barley and ignoring the one-sidedness of the movie, he said the movie wasn't any good in comparison to other movies that were up for the Palme d'Or Awards. Probably just the French who love to award anti-British movies.

I don't have a problem with movies that portray the British in a negative light - one of my favourite movies is In the Name of the Father, but was hardly one-sided.

It's just that some of these Anglophobic movies portray every Briton as an absolute bastard whilst the so-called freedom fighters are perfectly angelic.

I'll probably go see this movie in anyway, but the downside is that I would be contributing to Loach's pockets. Right that's my rant for the day:-)

Paul Burgin said...

Well as I said, I am no Ken Loach fan, but if some reviewers are stating that the IRA are shown in a brutal light, then I think it's worth a look!