Thursday, July 20, 2006

Load of Tossers

Lola, Iain Dale, Councillor Bob Piper, and Kerron have already blogged on this.
Put basically, Channel 4 will be showing a London event, labelled as the country's first masturbate-a-thon, on August 5th.
The aim is, officially, to help promote sexual health and it's all in the name of char-idy. Unofficially it is to follow the tried-and-tested method of appealing to the lowest common denominator.
Put simply, there are better ways of organising events to promote sexual health than arranging for a group of sad and unhappy men to play a variation of "soggy biscuit" in public. This just strikes me as sick and twisted titillation and I just hope it's a wind-up!

11 comments:

Skuds said...

I think Wongablog got to it first.

Don't be so negative about it... it sounds like a stroke of genius :-)

Andrew said...

It's definitely a slippery slope

Lola said...

It's not just men, Paul!

There is a genuine point to be made that there is some benefit to discussing these issues a bit more publically, particularly around women and sex, rather than getting all stiff-upper-lip about it (I have tried really hard to find an alrernative phrase without the word 'stiff' but it is just not possible!), as we tend to do in this country....

I think a lot of it will depend on whether the programme is a salacious 'live action filming' type thing, or a documentary about the process and how it worked in the UK and what the aims of it were etc etc. I'm hoping for the latter but not holding my breath.

Paul Burgin said...

Well I am cynical enough to believe it will be the latter.
In contary to the impression I must have gave in my posting, I am all for an open discussion about sex and the issues around that, but there is a difference between discussion, education, and downright titilation and voyuerism

Lola said...

I have enough faith in Channel 4 to maintain a degree of hope!

Lola said...

NB, I don't think the event itself will be particularly good for debating about these issues, btw, but it might create one, which would be a good by-product

Bob Piper said...

Lola, it sounds like it has the potential to be quite a mass debate.

Lola said...

bad bob!

Paul Burgin said...

I could see that joke arriving around the corner!
And yes I said arriving deliberatley instead of another word! ;)

Kerron said...

I'd hold my breath if I was there, that's for sure.

Paul Burgin said...

Yes, the smell would be somewhat, well...