Monday, July 31, 2006

One Book

Via Cally's Kitchen:

1. One book that changed your life:The Bible. Although Charles Colson's Kingdoms in Conflict affected my political views.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Oh plenty of those. Although I am currently rereading Prime Minister Portillo

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: (Aside from The Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare) Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis

4. One book that made you laugh:The novelised versions of Red Dwarf

5. One book that made you cry: None yet. But a no of books have made me feel sad

6. One book that you wish had been written: Well half of it had been already, so for me it's the second half of The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

7. One book that you wish had never been written: Not sure about this. For example Mein Kampf immediately springs to mind, but then people have learnt a lot about Hitler because of that piece of s***. That said I do think there is a place for censorship, but that one should be very careful about using it and not take a Mary Whitehouse scattergun approach.

8. One book you’re currently reading: The Dog Catcher by Alexei Sayle. Actually some of the short stories in it have made me laugh.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. Preferably before Bill Deedes (on whom the hero is based) dies.

10. One book that you wish you had written: Where do I start! I did recently read Jonathan Coe's novels The Rotters' Club and The Closed Circle. I wish those ideas had occured to me, although I wouldn't wish Paul Trotter's fate on my worst enemy.

10 comments:

Kerron said...

And no mention of Drama Verse Sketches 2.

http://www.word-on-the-web.co.uk/books/dvs2.htm

I'm gutted. :-/

Paul Burgin said...

I have yet to read it though
My apologies, although I did not publish the one book to which I myself contributed. Details to follow soon

Andrea said...

One of my favourite books is Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0156001314/104-6712224-5429502?v=glance&n=283155

I almost literally "devoured" it when I read it the first time (not a nice thought considering the plot)

Paul Burgin said...

No it's not :)

Andrea said...

no, is it not a good book or no, is it not a good thought?

Paul Burgin said...

Not a good thought!
Have not seen the book, but I rely on it's rep and I have seen some of the film

Andrea said...

ok. :-)

I think the book is more fascinating than the movie. The more philosophical parts are dropped in the movie. I think they've done an ok job with the adaptation though...they couldn't include everything in the movie.
But they've changed something in the plot though...the final is not 100% the same.
(and they seemed to have chosen the ugliest ensemble of actors they found around!)

Paul Burgin said...

I think I really ought to read the book and see the whole film after that endorsement :)

Andrea said...

yes, but don't sue me if you don't like it! :-)

Paul Burgin said...

lol!