Sunday, July 09, 2006

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part II: The Dunadan

(Dunadan)
The Dunadan is a thirtysomething moderator of the blog Cally's Kitchen. He went to Dundee University (part of St Andrew’s University until the 60s when it became independent) . The Dunadan is a civil servant in his day to day life.

What made you decide to start blogging?

The inspiration came from you. When I saw you writing your blog I thought that it would be a very interesting thing to do myself. However, I did nothing about it for a while because I was not interested in writing an on-line diary and was not sure if short stories would work. I only started blogging when I let go of that doubt and said to myself ‘let’s see what happens. If blogging stinks, I’ll stop, if not, I’ll just keep going’.

What is your best blogging experience?

I never cease to be thrilled by seeing something I have written on the computer screen! The knowledge that it is there and for other people to see is very exciting indeed. However, my best blogging experience is whenever I see that someone has left a comment. It is such a simple thing but to know that someone out there is reading what I have written (hopefully the like it!) is very good.

And your worst?

A couple of weeks ago I wrote an Inquisitive Cow entry. As it demands (even just a little) research, it took half an hour or so to write: very long in blogging terms! But by clicking the wrong buttons too quickly (or something) I managed to delete it… or so I thought. Fortunately, I had actually saved it during my click frenzy, but for a few minutes, I was very distressed. What made it worse was that someone had left a comment so I thought that I had lost that as well.

What do you regard as your best blog entry?

Goodness, that is tough. The Inquisitive Cow and Berrydict (inspired by my pet cat) are always fun to write. I really liked The Cat and the Bear poem as I am no poet. However, my heart lies with the fairy tales. No one ever comments on them – perhaps they aren’t commentable material – so I may be in a minority of one, but they are very meaningful to me. The stories aren’t allegorical but have deeper meanings. For example, The Woods of Silent Weeping is a straight forward fairy tale but is, on a deeper level, about abortion. The characters can also be viewed in this way – Cally is a type of the Blessed Virgin.

Favourite blogs?

Mars Hill and The Wonderful World of Lola are two blogs I enjoy a lot. Kerron Cross - The Voice of the Delectable Left has a very lively wit and so is a good read too. Also, Roman Miscellany is a recently discovered favourite. I could go on and on. If the truth be told, there is only one blog(ger) of whom I am not so fond. I still read their blog, though, to try and understand their way of thinking.

What inspired you to start writing?

I wrote my first story when I was 11 or 12. It was in the style of the then popular ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ series. I was also very inspired by American comic books, in particular The Uncanny X-Men when it was written by a guy called Chris Claremont. I loved the depth he gave the characters.

What made you decide to become a Catholic?

The belief that the claims of the Church are true.

How do you regard the current trends in contemporary literature?

I’m afraid I can be of no use regarding this question. I do not read enough modern literature to be able to give an informed opinion.

Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

Many places, particularly in France and those cities of Italy that I have not yet visited.

Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Rome and Florence.

Do you have a favourite political figure in history?

No.

Which Christian figure has been your greatest inspiration?

Can I pick two? C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien.

Favourite Bond movie?
Goldeneye by two country miles.

Favorite Doctor Who?

Tom Baker. I still have a Tom Baker scarf at home that my mother knitted for me when I was young – for a fancy dress party.

Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Mint. Definitely.

Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

I would have said U2 but I was lucky enough to see them at Twickenham last year so my concert ambition is now fulfilled.

In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

Hmm. Barsby is tempting but I have heard that they have a by-law which still permits public dunkings, so I would have to go for Oxford.

Favourite national newspaper?

I don’t have one.

What would you say your hobbies were?

Doing the bidding of my pet cat.

And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

Songs:
All That You Can’t Leave Behind and Grace by U2 and Ugly by Jon Bon Jovi from the All That You Can’t Leave Behind and Destination Anywhere albums.
Books: The Silmarillion, The Lord of the Rings and the Dilbert series.

No comments: