Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Tax

(Wikipedia.org)
So Stephen Byers has fired his warning shot at Gordon, but it seems to have done him little credibility if he had any beforehand!
To be fair (and this is not going to make me popular in some quarters), I have some sympathy with what he is saying, although I am torn on this issue. On one hand one of my grandparents made sure that his will was put into effect within his lifetime so as to avoid death duties. All my grandparents had experienced some form of poverty (and by that I mean real poverty), and after working hard for most of their lives, they deserved the comfort they had. On the other one of my most central political beliefs is that you put into society what you take out of it, and that includes tax of all shapes and sizes!
So on this one I am going to be very annoying and sit on the fence. I don't think inheritance tax should be scrapped, but perhaps a fundamental review and a reform of the law would not come amiss!
As for the Uber Blairites wanting to challenge Gordon and looking for a candidate! If such a cabal exists they would be foolish as I get the impression the electorate, and indeed the Party, are more warm towards Brown than Blair right now!

2 comments:

El Tom said...

There's nothing wrong with with avoiding death duty early on, because if you do it early enough, what's the difference between an inheritance and a gift?

that doesn't mean that it's ok for people to live without doing any work, while other put a lot more in and get a lot less out.

I'm glad everyone's got talikng about this, i think tax is the paramount issue for a party of the centre-left.

More here.

Paul Burgin said...

"that doesn't mean that it's ok for people to live without doing any work, while other put a lot more in and get a lot less out."

Well that's a major political principle of mine, and one which many seem to find too painful to accept!