Thursday, September 21, 2006

Weathervane Blogging (or special interest faith)

(Photos: Wikipedia.org)

This morning I was going to blog on an article I saw in yesterday's Guardian about Rupert Murdoch's Fox company, starting a drive on films with a Christian message (under a new branch called Fox Faith).
I was going to mention about the fact that it reads like Christians are being treated as a special interest group and how I deplore the way that Christians and non Christians tend to treat each other as fodder. Then I couldn't find my copy of yesterday's Guardian. Wasn't in my bag, handn't been put in the newspaper bin etc.. Then I checked yesterday's Telegraph and the story wasn't there (unless it is well tucked away in the inside pages), and this in turn made me think.










I suspected I was in the beginings of a process in making a knee jerk reaction to a story which has no immediate backup that I could find (although I am not that sloppy ;), the news item can be found here), and this made me wonder in turn about how often bloggers do that!
I am not saying most bloggers are unprofessional. Not the serious ones anyway (except the ones I totally disagree with! ;) ), but I wonder how easy it is to seize on a story which covers a subject which one is deeply emotionally and spiritually involved with (in this case my faith) and soon find oneself in a tight situation and open to some ridicule that's deserved!
Actually I am concerned that FOX is treating Christians as a special interest group. Nothing wrong with that you might say, but how would you feel if the things that mattered to you were treated sympathetically by a home video label, when certain other aspects of the company it's involved in seems to be the antithesis of the lifestyle that matters to you. Put basically one feels patronised, but I shouldn't be so churlish, I am sure Fox Faith will be of great help to many people. Although if it goes for the syrup I am not sure I will want to watch it and then I really would feel patronised!

2 comments:

Juvenal said...

Is this your lost Guardian article?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1876551,00.html

This looks more to do with smart marketing (already 72k hits of FoxFaith on Google) and the determination of media firms to slice consumer groups into ever smaller chunks. Plus, the Christian DVD market in the US must be massive. Where's the downside? Am I missing something?

Paul Burgin said...

It's the feeling of inscinerity and being treated as consumer fodder!