Wednesday, November 15, 2006

90 Days

This is said so often that it can be a cliche, and therefore taken at face value (a concern in itself), but it is true that freedom is precious, as is the rule of law, as is human dignity, as is the rights of the individual.
So it is with this in mind that I have real concerns about the idea of detention for 90 days without trial for terror suspects!
This is not to say that the issue doesn't have merits, as I have stated on the Labourhome site, but, like many people I have concerns. They may be inarticulate, they may be not well thought out, but they are there!
Because these kind of rulings can sometimes be part of a slippery slope, moving beyond the control of those who initally implemented these proceedures, taking us into areas not worth thinking about! Then again, I may be wrong (and sincerely I hope I am wrong), and that, if this becomes law and the said prisoners get full legal rights, such as the right to prepare a case, the right to contact others, weekly visits before Judges and the "Sunset Clause" etc.. then I may well be persuaded on the merits of the 90 Days without trial!
But I am very concerned and I am writing as someone who is generally very loyal to this government.
But hey ho, we shall know by tommorrow and they do say tommorow is another day!

2 comments:

Nightowl said...

Yes I know what you mean. My biggest concern about 90 days is why our police need 90 days, but other countries in Europe and elsewhere at risk from Terrorism seem to do fine without. Why are we different?

Paul Burgin said...

I think it's something to do with the constitution and laws we already have. Things are more stringent on the continent!