Wednesday, November 22, 2006

John F. Kennedy: A Tribute

As some of you know, today is the anniversary of the death of John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the United States.

It's fair to say that, in spite of their misdemeanors, both President Kennedy and his brother Robert (in fact I am more of a fan of Bobby Kennedy) are political heroes of mine. Not only for their successes (such as standing up to the Russians during the Cuban Missile Crisis, pushing forward civil rights in the American South, creating the Peace Corps, and signing the Test Ban Treaty), but also for what they aimed for. Kennedy's comment during his inaugural speech "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." is one of my favourite political quotes, because it describes in a nutshell how I feel about what society should be like!

So above, is a small tribute in memory of one of America's best Presidents, courtesy of YouTube. Incidentally, Monday would have seen Robert Kennedy's 81st birthday, so here, you can read a small piece I wrote on him earlier this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is the aniversary of the first ever Dr Who episode- the day after JFK was assassinated. I can't remember exactly where I was when I heard about Kennedy; too young to take it in, I suppose, but I remember watching the first DrWho the next day.

Paul Burgin said...

True indeed, will be blogging on that shortly