Friday, November 24, 2006

Monopoly

(Wikipedia.org)
I love board games in general, don't ask me why but I do! And whilst my favourites are Trivial Pursuit and Chess (if you count the latter as a board game), I find myslef playing Monopoly with the family more often than not.
Now Jonathan Chilvers Top Ten list of things he would never do has reminded me of how I tend to approach the game. The thing is it is a bit of a machavellian game where the aim is to bankrupt and financially pulverise your opponents in the property market. (Put simply it's not a game I can imagine the Redgrave family (well Vanssea and Corin) playing during the Christmas festivities) So how do I approach this!
Well when I am not frantically trying to buy as many properties near Mayfair as I can and trying to grab control of the railway stations at the first oppurtunity, I follow the Jonathan Bartley principle.
In one of his books, Bartley states that one Christmas he started a new approach. He brought few properties, he made sure he kept hold of his money, and indeed started bailing out other players who were in trouble, who in turn helped him. Understandably this annoyed some of the other players who wanted to win and win well and, well monopolise the game!
It does work however, gains you respect and you do well in the game, if not always win. The trick is to remember your own rules, not get nervous as you see threats to your position, and not worry about losing!
So clearly this approach is not going to be popular! :/

5 comments:

Praguetory said...

Let me know if you're in Prague on a Tuesday. It's games night. Chess, scrabble, backgammon and the ancient game of Ur in a pub setting.

Paul Burgin said...

Will do! :)

Andrea said...

"The thing is it is a bit of a machavellian game where the aim is to bankrupt and financially pulverise your opponents in the property market. (Put simply it's not a game I can imagine the Redgrave family (well Vanssea and Corin) playing during the Christmas festivities) "

They probably have their own personal Monopoly version where the poors have to take away money from the rich ones.

Praguetory said...

Paul - Look out for a post on fun and games tomorrow evening.

Paul Burgin said...

Will do!