Thursday, January 11, 2007

Clash of Minorities

I did wonder how I should post about this recent issue, but fellow Christian and political blogger Paul Linford has echoed my thoughts almost perfectly (esp the first two paragraphs). You can read his post here.
Incidentally I could echo some of the letters written to The Guardian today, protesting about the comments made by Polly Toynbee on this issue, but then I thought "Why? She is determined to lump many Christians together as either deluded bigots or deluded zombies, what would I write that would change things, I would just be trotting out what those who know me know I would say anyway!"
In any case I just pray and wish that those evangelical christians who stood outisde the House of Lords tried harder to understand the gay community and their fears and concerns and what it is like to have a sexual preference which is frowned on at best by many (For example, perhaps they ought to imagine for a moment, a society where heterosexuality is seen exactly in the same way homosexuality is, and then see how they would feel about their views then) . Likewise that some in the gay community would recognise that some of these people are not evil or malicious, just ignorant, frightened, and therefore defensive. For them the issue is not so much about sexuality, but their own complex identity within their understanding of a simple, yet complex faith.

2 comments:

Garry Chick-Mackay said...

No, I'm sorry, but I can't accept that. It's probably true that most mainstream Christians are no more homophobic than anyone else, but really these people are at the extreme margins of your faith, they give your faith a bad name, and you're apologising for them. Just once i'd like to see the religious mainstream stand up to them and tell them they're wrong.

There is no clash of minorities happening here. Religious belief is not being compromised by the regulations. The organisers of the protest have spread lie after lie, and I for one have no need to feel sorry for them for their poisonous beliefs, because I believe in equality, and I know what the government are doing is right.

Paul Burgin said...

I see your point, but having met varying types of fellow Christians and people who claim to be Christian, I notice a difference between the homophobic and those who feel a clash between what they think is okay and what they believe the Bible tells them on this issue and the latter are the people I am referring to. I really ought to have clarified slightly for which I apologise.