Monday, February 12, 2007

Blog Wars

(Wikipedia.org)
They are horrible, ugly, above all insular, and as my Mum tended to say when I was little and I got into arguments with my sibings "If you are not careful it will end in tears!" (See here, here, and here)

Personally, at the risk of being flippant during an inappropriate moment (apologies in advance therefore), I would have thought that simply being a Young Conservative in the 1980's was enough of a slur, esp simply being a member of the FCS, but C'est la vie!

I agree with Iain Dale that this has to stop. One only has to see the blogosphere in the US to know how nasty and unpleasant this can be in a way which diminishes everyone involved. As Paul Linford has stated, there has been enough nastiness flying around from a few on both sides. In any case, I would far rather get angry with the Daily Mail for their mentioning a member of Blair's family in today's edition of their paper.

I have been around party politics long enough to know how some people have a dislike of some forms of ideology and it's representatives that borders on the pathological. The problem is when all that anger explodes and is aimed towards individuals. Two rules to remember in blogging however. 1) If you write under a pseudonym and your blog is popular, beware, because some people will be out to expose you and it will be relatively easy to do so and 2) If you throw mud and accusations around, be sure that you will p*** off enough people to start to do the same thing towards you. This is not directed at Guido as such, but rather any aspiring blogger, esp in the field of politics.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever the sanctomonious bible basher I see. And siding with the tory who gives you your one shot of fame on web TV. Typical.

Bel said...

Anonymous, not so. I thought that this was a balanced article, in fact, one of the few objective ones I have seen on this topic.

leon said...

Objective? Well maybe but it still bought into this tabloidesq version of events to a small degree simply by inflating a tea cup storm into a war...it's almost film like:

Blog Wars: The Net Is Coming To Get You!

Released Summer 2007...

tyger said...

Anonymous,

That was unfair. Paul is not involed, he's just calling for calm.

Paul Burgin said...

Well anon, being sanctomonious is one of my failings I admit, but here I have been trying to be fair. As for siding with Tories, if you had bothered to watch 18 Doughty Street you will see that I am more than happy to disagree with Iain on a variety of issues, but unlike some people I am aware that many of my political opponents are human beings. If you had read my post carefully you would have noted that I had a go at all sides involved.

Louise said...

This is one of the reasons I left working in politics - disagreements could never be settled in a polite manner. There is the expectation that you must hate the people you disagree with and this is being shown through the blog wars at the moment.

It's also this kind of self-indulgent behaviour that turns 99% of voters off politics and politicians.

Yes, let individuals raise questions about issues, let bloggers have a role in highlighting government or political party hypocrisy, let bloggers disagree openly (as you and I did about speed cameras).

But when our leading bloggers descend into the kind of abusive behaviour we have seen recently there is no new politics that bloggers are proud of, only a new way of expressing the nasty old politics we're all used to.

Paul Burgin said...

True indeed. In any case Louise you come across as such a nice person, you are one of those people where I feel disapointed when I disagree with you

breadandcircuses said...

Oh dear, am I part of the problem? That certainly wasn't my intention. I just wanted to highlight the fact that a blogger who rails against legal threats himself and promotes freedom of speech was so quick to declare all out law on everyone.

I have 'soap updates' ready for all participants, but thought the joke might wear thin.

Louise said...

Awww thank you Paul. I try. :-)

I actually don't mind disagreeing with people - I think in this current situation we have seen just a break-down of common manners and courtesy which is fairly typical of our politics and one of the reasons I left.

breadandcircuses said...

They think it's all over...

http://www.chickyog.net/2007/02/14/the-last-laugh/