Monday, July 23, 2007

BBC Values

(BBC)

The past week has seen my faith in the BBC somewhat shaken, particually as it has always been my favourite media outlet. But it appears to be contrite and this is certainly an oppurtunity to go back on the straight and narrow and renew their pledge to "Educate, entertain, and inform", not try and use the distorted phrase, "give the public what they want!" Media outlets like the BBC are there and should be there to inspire people and to give quality programmes which are hard to find in a highly competitive environment. I could go on but I feel passionately about this so it might turn out into a rant, suffice to say I have defended the BBC as an institution before and I don't want to be a broken record. I just wish more people shared my views on quality broadcasting. Cultural snobbery! I hope not, but the alternative is, as we have seen, rather unedifying.

2 comments:

Bishop Hill said...

It will be interesting to see if anyone is charged over this. Any other operator of a fraudulent competition would find themselves up before the judge.

Paul Burgin said...

I know