Friday, August 17, 2007

Bill Deedes 1913-2007

(Press Association)
I don't think it is hyperbole to state that not only is this very sad news, but that it constitutes the end of an era. Who else can be satirised in an Evelyn Waugh novel, appear on Have I Got News for You, have served in the cabinet and have been Editor of the Daily Telegraph. Not only that but his first major journalistic assingment was covering Mussolini's invasion of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) in 1935 and his last column for the Telegraph was two weeks ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

backward relic of all that made this country awful, why people look up to this Tory old fart is beyond me

Graf von Straf Hindenburg said...

I think, Paul, that all sides of the political spectrum would agree with this.

Louise said...

Anonymous - I think you are mistaking Bill Deedes with the stereotype of an old Torygraph journalist in his 90s.

Bill Deedes' genius was that he continued to move with the stories, albeit with the eyes of someone older. I can think of few more high profile journalists who have visited and highlighted the plight of people in Darfur.

He will be sadly missed.