Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ming's Downfall

(Press Association)


Like Iain and Kerron, I am saddened on a personal level about what has happened. Whatever questions arise about his leadership, Sir Menzies Campbell is a decent and respected politician who has been treated in a shabby way. I trust that Westminster will not just cast him to one side and that there will be found some clear scope for his very able talents.


Two more things. Tim Roll-Pickering and I had a chat about this this evening and we have worked out that Ming is the first Liberal leader not to face a general election since Sir William Vernon Harcourt 109 years ago. Secondly this is the first time I, and many other bloggers, have covered the entire leadership of an individual helping to run a political party.

4 comments:

Red and White said...

I have to echo your sentiments, I felt sad for Ming and I wish him well. However, I often ask myself: Why do so many of us non Lib Dems 'like' the Lib Dems? Would we all feel so much affection towards them if they were a more serious threat for a house majority?

As nasty as the 'coup' was, I can understand the need for a new leader. I think they need a younger person at the helm to keep the party's appeal to the younger voters.

Andre said...

I disagree with him on so many things - but it's so sad to see someone leave this way.

Letters From A Tory said...

I agree that it has been painful viewing to see someone brought crashing down in this way, but if he'd really cut it as Lib Dem leader we would never have reached this point. Politics is not a game for the faint-hearted.

Paul Burgin said...

I do think though, that had he come from an earlier time, this would not have been an issue andhe would have been seen as a great leader.