Wednesday, January 30, 2008

1812. It Wasn't Just the Overture

Thanks to Iain and Paul for reminding me of the various articles going around saying that 1812 was one of the worst years in history.
Mind you, I am sure the years 1933-1945 cause stiff competition. In my own lifetime, definetly 2001, simply because of 9/11.
As for me personally, I think one of my best and worst years was 2004. That year I was working for an MP on a short-term basis, I got to know Kerron Cross (one of the most thoughtful and helpful friends I have in the Labour Party), I attended that year's Labour Party Conference as a delegate, I was in my first relationship for five years (even if it was short-term), and (slightly more battle-hardened), I fought my second election campaign for Councillor of the Baldock Town Ward.
On the minus side, I lost a close friend in a freak accident on the London Underground, I got made redundant along with about half a dozen others in my job at a local coffee shop due to a company takeover, and of course the aforementioned relationship ended.
And the best year overall? Well I think that's yet to come, as for the worst, well I think that was 1993 (I had short-term depression), 2000 (was unemployed), and 2004 (for the reasons given)

2 comments:

Tommy Atkins said...

I don't know how anyone could have worked out that 1812 was the worst year in history. I thought that during the 14th century a huge proportion of the population of Europe was wiped out by famine and the Black Death. By my reckoning that must have meant some of the years 1300 to 1399 must have been pretty grim ones.

Paul Burgin said...

Plus the wars with Scotland and France, plus the succesful rebellions against Edward II and Richard II, plus the Peasants' Revolt, plus Edward I's persecution of the Jews. I think the 14th Century is a good contender.