Sunday, January 13, 2008

George Osborne and the Donations Row

Before I start I will admit that I take a personal dislike to George Osborne. I find him to be unpleasant and where his attacks on Gordon Brown are concerned, just plain nasty.
So I am trying not to crow over his current misfortune because it would equally be unpleasant of me if nothing else. It may also be that he is totally innocent, but I find it unsurprising in a sad but cynical way that so far, no Tory blogger has really mentioned this issue whereas at the first whiff of such a scandal on the Labour side, they are quick to post a blog entry on the subject.
I hope, for the sake of all politicians, that Hain and Osborne are as pure as the driven snow and are just plain naive with money and are proven to be so, but yet again I am feeling depressed. Not just about what has happened, but also because of the knee-jerk and hypocritical reactions all of us involved in politics are inclined to make. In other words if it is an opposing political party give them a public lynching and hope that the mud spreads across the Party concerned and if it's your own, duff' em up in a back alley and hope no one notices so as to protect your own reputation.

7 comments:

Damion Roberts said...

Paul,
You hope they are just naive with money? This concerns me somewhat. I would have hoped they are better with money then simply being naive.
It is true that few Tory bloggers have commented on Boy George's donation situation and this is important because the most popular and best bloggers out there appear to be Tory. When they choose to stay quiet the story tends to die out. But when something happens with Labour and these bloggers get a sniff of it, they are up in arms and are relentless. Ah, isn't the world ofthe political blogger interesting?

Damion Roberts said...

Since my previous message, I've just come across this...
http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/
The defence for Boy George has begun

Paul Burgin said...

Its to do with being in opposition Damion, that said Cameron is facing the heat and the Tories are learning once again that they cannot dish it out and expect not to be subject to the same scrutiny

molesworth 1 said...

my dere boys... regardless of my own political affiliations, it is objectively true that the Tory blogosphere is a much more entertaining read than NuLabour's efforts, thus far.
But this is not inherently a tory talent. It is an opposition talent. Should nulab find themself 'on the bench', so to speak, sometime after 2010, I would expect the left-wing blogosphere to smoulder ever brighter, fanned by the holy-wind of, wait for it, wait for it...OPPOSITION! Of which, it can be said, they have much experience...hem-hem.

PS Saw you on Newsnight (that's why I'm here), getting interviewed out in the cold. No greenroom for the grassroots, eh? Anyway, I hope your Mum Sky+'d it for you, Vince Cable put in another barnstormer!

Paul Burgin said...

Molesworth political parties can renew themselves afresh in office and that is what Labour is trying to do right now :)

Dave Coren said...

No Tory blogger mentioned the issue? You Labour types really struggle with facts don't you?

http://tonysharp.blogspot.com/2008/01/george-osborne-donations-row.html

Paul Burgin said...

Well most Tory bloggers didn't, not the main ones anyway.
Apologies for not fully checking my facts.