Friday, January 11, 2008

The Pay Increase Dilemma

To be fair, a lot of the money in an MP's salary does not go straight into their pocket. Some MP's use their finances to help fund their office, but at a time when public sector workers are grumbling about the percentage of their pay increase, it would not be the done thing for our elected representatives to award themselves a pay rise. Unfortunatley it will mean sitting tight for a while, but such a move would be beneficial all round in the long term.

2 comments:

Letters From A Tory said...

I'd go as far as saying that it would be political suicide for the Government to make a move on this issue.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure that many MPs use their salary for accommodation? I thought their incidental expenses covered the cost of renting office accommodation to hold clinics etc. I know that my MP was delighted in 1998 (I think) when allowances for accommodation and staffing were greatly increased enabaling him to employ further staff and open another office in a small market town (he told me this). I also understood that should MPs they not use their generous staffing allowance of £100,000 any residual balance can also be transferred to accommodation. As you know many MPs employ students (at a pittance) and family at the going rate. It seems important to me to take the whole package together - not just the salary. I am very happy to pay MPs higher wages. However, I would reduce their numbers by some 40% as I believe that we no longer need so many. We can now contact government departments and MPs by E Mail and obtain a direct response. Much of our legislation derives from Europe etc etc...... Regards Jane