Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Israel at Sixty

Something I have wanted to blog on for about a week, but not sure how to approach this, so will play it by ear.
I think it is fair to say that I am unashamedly pro-Israeli, in so far as I agree with their desire for a homeland and for that homeland to be in the Holy Land. A lot of the conflicts involving Israel should also be looked at with the questions; "Does Israel have a right to exist?" and "Does Israel have a right to defend itself". With those two questions I would personally answer yes, however there is a fine line sometimes between defence and persecution. The treatment of the Palestinian people is disgusting, not to put to fine a point, and the blindness of the Israeli government to the Biblical charge to look after ones neighbour is ignored (and I am not referring to the New Testament, it's mentioned in the Old Testament as well).
So I hope that, as a nation, Israel grows and prospers and I wish them well on their anniversary, but I also hope and pray that they will listen to the pain of the Palestinian people, that they would break down that wall around Bethlehem, that they respect the right of self-determination of the Palestinian people, and that that peace, real peace comes to this troubled land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share your views Paul and, of course, this whole situation is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophesy.

The Jewish people were given the land by God, destroying the former inhabitants and their idol worship as they took over the land.

I don't know a whole lot about the history of the Palestinian people and I do think that the Israeli neighbours should show them love but as to where they should live is a tough one.