Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Russell T. Davies steps down from Doctor Who

To paraphrase Christopher Eccleston's Doctor in describing Davies's tenure as Head Writer and Executive Producer, "Fantastic!"
When I heard he was charged by the BBC to bring the series back I groaned inwardly. I feared that the Queer As Folk writer would sexualise the series Andrew Davies-style, and in some ways he has, although to a small extent (am starting to wonder if it is stipulated in the contract of any actor who now plays the Doctor that they must have at least one snog per series ;) ).
But compared to the tired-feel it sometimes had from the mid-late eighties, it's fresh, dynamic, playful, imaginative, has a brilliant team of writers, and has recaptured people's imaginations in a way that hadn't happened with the series for a very long while. Am also pleased that Davies's replacement is Steven Moffat, who I remember as the writer of that brilliant sitcom Coupling (If you have never seen it do get the chance, it has the desires and neuroses of romantic and potential romantic partners down to a tee, well almost). Not only that but he has already penned some of the best stories of the series, such as The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink.
Good to know the series is in safe hands :)

2 comments:

Steve Platt said...

I read this here first - so who says blogs don't break news!

Russell T not only revived Dr Who, he injected it with a joie de vivre that made it one of the few TV programmes I'd go out of my way to watch. I think it's been turning into a bit too much of self-parody with Catherine Tate (though that's quibbling), so maybe time for a change.

Man in a Shed said...

He brought back a great programme to life again. I don't like the way he puts his politics and personal views into the story lines - but the programme is still fantastic.

The best part is it really fires the imaginations of kids ( my son and nephews think its the best thing out - and my daughter likes it too - when she's not hiding behind the sofa ).