Monday, June 09, 2008

The Long Walk to Finchley

If I get the chance I will be watching this, although I do have one or two reservations.
One of which is the fictional scene where Margaret Thatcher effectively propositions Ted Heath and gets rebuffed. I know the old tale that major rows, arguments, and feuds between a man and a woman, or even two gay people, is down to sexual tension, but it's not always the case and I have always had the impression that the Thatcher/Heath feud was down to ideology, being different people with different approaches to dealing with certain situations, plus (later on), the simple fact that Thatcher effectively kicked Heath out of the Conservative leadership.
Plus I don't think they were exactly each others type, but hey! What's to stop that in the way of good TV Drama, which leads one to ask why we are so dependent on sex to get our attention to what in any case would be a riveting story!

4 comments:

Paul Linford said...

I don't think it ever happened Paul. The idea of a "history" between them going that far back is all very well, but why then would Heath have put her in his Cabinet? The reason he hated her was because he felt politically betrayed by her - he had done more than anyone to advance her career up to the point she stood against him.

Paul Burgin said...

I don't think it ever did either. That said, Heath was known to have his doubts about her when he was leader and she was on the Conservative front bench. However he kept on until the very end which I think says a lot about him in a positive way!

Tim Roll-Pickering said...

To a large Thatcher got into the Shadow Cabinet because there really wasn't much choice. The 1966 Parliament had relatively few women in it and the Conservatives needed a presentable female as a counter to Barbara Castle - choice got even more limited! So who else could they have picked?

Paul Linford said...

Well, I suppose they could have picked Dame Irene Ward (Wallsend 1931-45, Tynemouth 1945-74) who was the longest-serving woman MP until her record was overtaken by Gwyneth Dunwoody in 2007.

Ward was a feisty old battleaxe famous for a Despatch Box exchange with Harold Wilson in the 60s. Having asked Wilson a question and been given a less than satisfactory answer, Ward memorably interjected: "I will poke the Prime Minister. I will poke him until I get a response."