Thursday, August 28, 2008

The "Where Were You When..." Meme

I have been tagged by Kerron to mention where I was when the following events happened.

Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997

I woke up about Five AM, having noticed a downstairs light was on. I then heard my Mum walking up the stairs and she seemed to be crying, so I sat up and whether I asked what was wrong or she could he me moving I am not sure, but she told me that Princess Diana had been killed in a car crash.
I am not a major royalist or anything like that, but I did have that almost pit-in-the-stomach feeling. It just seemed impossible, so I grabbed a dressing gown and dashed downstairs to watch the early morning news with the rest of my family. The shock quickly turned to anger at what soon became clear, that the crash was partly due to a game of cat and mouse with the Papparratzi, the other fact is that a close relative had his eighteenth birthday that day, so that kind of overshadowed things. A tragic and sensless death and perhaps one that made us more aware as well about how fragile life can be


Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990

4th Year at Secondary School, or Year 10 as it would now be known. I went to my form room during lunch brake, about half twelve, for something, and I was just leaving when I passed the Science Corridor and overheard a guy in my year in the Maths Corridor on the other side of where I was call out to a friend that Margaret Thatcher had resigned. Was shocked, happy, amazed, and bewildered (I couldn't remember anyone else in the job). I quickly told some friends and soon a lot of us were in my form room chatting about it excitedly. The Head of the Upper School came in and we asked him if it was true, which he confirmed it was. That afternoon, instead of doing homework, I was watching an extended Prime Minister's Questions on BBC 2, feeling bewildered but elated.


Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001

Was just finishing my shift at work, just before 2PM, when my boss mentioned that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. It was thought to be a terrorist incident and like many others I at first thought it was a small bi-plane. My Dad picked me up from work shortly afterwards and told me that two airline planes had hit each of the twin towers. I was going to go to London that afternoon and, on the advice of my family, swiftly cancelled my plans. The main feeling was shock and horror, esp when the towers fell down, when there were rumours that there was a bomb explosion outside the State Department, when news came through that the Pentagon was hit and Canary Wharf was being evacuated, the overall feeling was that we were under attack and that this was an act of war comparable with Pearl Harbour. You certainly felt that you were watching history unfolding and that things would not be the same again.


England's World Cup Semi Final v Germany in - 4 July 1990

Am sorry to say that I was not thatinterested at the time, although I would have watched the Final had we got through. However I do remember seeing the photos of Gazza crying on all the newspapers the following day.


President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963

Considering it was just less than twelve years before I was born, I can't quite remember this one. A terrible tragedy all the same, esp when one wonders what a Kennedy Second Term would have been like!

Tagging Cally's Kitchen , AnniePorthouse , dizzykj , Rupa Huq, Tim Roll-Pickering, and WongaBlog

1 comment:

Annie Porthouse said...

was watching a tv documentary just yesterday re diana's death... interesting stuff.