Thursday, September 04, 2008

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part XXXVIII:dizzykj

(dizzykj)

Profile: dizzy –adjective 1.having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall; giddy; vertiginous. 2.bewildered; confused. 3.causing giddiness or confusion. 4.heedless; thoughtless. 5.informal. foolish; silly.
To be found here.

What made you decide to start blogging?
I had chronic fatigue syndrome and was house-bound. I don't have plants so had taken to talking to kitchen implements - I thought blogging would be a better sign of sanity!

What is your best blogging experience?
Probably the first time people started commenting on my blog - it hadn't actually occurred to me that anyone would be reading it, and now I get people visiting from all over the world which is nice (although a bit strange as I don't often have anything very relevant to say!).

And your worst?
Can't think of anything bad - I'm quite careful to keep my blog anonymous and I think this helps.

What do you regard as your best blog entry?
Probably my 100th-blog-post-joke:
A neutron goes into a bar and orders a gin and tonic. When the drink arrives, he takes out his wallet, but the barman says "for you, no charge"!
It may be silly, but it makes me smile!

Favourite blogs?
Neil Gaiman has to be the one I read most often. I also really love Cory's "Digital Rights, Digital Wrongs" for the Guardian and Stephen Fry's. I also love Sauntering Vaguely Downwards.

Why Barack Obama?
Normally only about 50% of registered voters in America vote. This year, that's likely to go up about 65%, and the number of registered voters will also increase. More people than ever will be going to the polls on November 4th and asking themselves what kind of country they want to live in. This is purely because Obama is a candidate.
In an age where many countries in Asia and Africa are considering moving towards Democracy, American, when it's working well, can be a shining beacon for all that is good in the world. Obama can make this happen.

And why Spurs?
Family. My earliest memory is being carried on my grandfather's shoulders and everyone was happy because a team called Spurs had won something. It meant nothing to me at the time, but it was 1981 and we'd just won the FA cup. I'd love not to be a Spurs fan, but I didn't have a choice.

You are stuck on a desert island with only one fantasy book. By Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett?
Gotta be Neil Gaiman. And probably American Gods. I first read Good Omens when it came out and followed that up with all the disc-world novels. It took me many years to realised that although I like TP, it was the darkness of NG that had really got me hooked.

Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?
I'd love to Tokyo - it's the one really big city that I've yet to visit.

Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?


Many places - Chicago, NY, SF, Hong Kong, also Crete!

Do you have a favourite political figure in history?
Pythagoras! I don't really do recent political history in terms of people - it's more about ideology for me.

Which figure has been your greatest inspiration?
Again - Pythagoras! I know that he had his faults, but when I was about 7 I read the proof for his theorem from first principles and it just blew me away - that someone could have proven something to be true for all numbers, for ever. The fact that clarity like that existed in the world freed me to do everything else.

Favourite Bond movie?
Moonraker - it's just so wonderfully camp!

Favorite Doctor Who?
10 - Ten - can't get better!

Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?
Can I have chocolate and mint? If not, then it will have to be vanilla!

Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?
Not sure really - I saw most of the band I wanted to in my teens and now the older ones are re-forming! The one I'd always wanted to see was The Cult, and they reformed and I saw them in 2006!

In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?
It has to be Brum - I have good friends there who I don't see enough, and they also have a dog called Ulrich who is an alsation/ mastiff cross - he's the most wonderful puppy in the world!

Favourite national newspaper?
The Economist

What would you say your hobbies were?
Pilates, reading, listening to Radio4 - God - that makes me sound really dull - I'm not - I promise - just really forgetful about the cool stuff I do!

And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?
It all depends on my mood, but right now, I have to go with:
Songs:Stutter by Elastica
Smooth by Santana
Mozart's 2nd Violin Concerto - second movement
Books:Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Geisha by Lisa Dalby

No comments: