Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part XL: Steve Green

(Steve Green)

Steve Green: Where to begin? I’ve been on this planet (some would disagree) for thirty nine

years, sixteen of which I spent travelling the world as an engineer in the Royal Navy. I could recount stories of the many countries I visited on my blog, but I don’t think descriptions of the inside of bars would make for good reading. I’ve been a civilian for six years now, and it is during this time that I have become interested in politics.

I’ll admit now, that even though I have been writing the Daily Referendum for about two years - I’m no great political mind. I’m learning about politics as I go along and I mainly write about subjects that have a social and economic impact on my family, friends and fellow countrymen.

I’ve always voted Labour in the past, but after a couple of years of political blogging, I have come to realise that I made a mistake doing so in the last general election. I have become: a Conservative party member, a climate change sceptic, not too

keen on the EU and a proponent of English votes on English matters.


What made you decide to start blogging?

I never really had any serious time for politics during the first sixteen years of my adult life. I was serving in the Royal Navy during that period and spent a good part of my sixteen years service either at sea or abroad. When I left the Navy six years ago I gradually became more interested in politics. I think what drew me further in was a realisation that the current government were not doing a great job. This came as a bit of a surprise as I grew up in Barnsley S.Yorks and would quite happily vote for a donkey wearing a red rosette.

I’d become a bit lost politically. I’d lost any respect for the labour government and due to my upbringing I couldn’t even consider voting Tory (LibDem was never a choice and never will be - splitters!). So in political limbo, I came up with an idea to find out how other people felt about the way the country was heading both socially and politically. In September 2006 I started a website called Daily Referendum. The site was basically a daily vote on a particular subject in the news that day/week. It was while running that website that I became aware of blogging and I soon realised that it was a far better platform for discussing politics with like minded people. So in November 2006 the Daily Referendum blog was born.

What is your best blogging experience?

I went up to the pro-referendum rally at Westminster to protest against the Lisbon Treaty. Ended up as a massive booze up with D.K and others in St Stephen’s Tavern (across the road from Big Ben).

And your worst?

Joining Blogpower only to realise that they had a BNP member on the Blogroll. This caused a big fall out amongst the membership. I finally left when it was obvious the BNP member was going to stay (the BNP member has left since).

What do you regard as your best blog entry?

I’m afraid your Labour supporting readers won’t like this but I thought this one wasn’t bad:

Breaking wind with dignity V breaking the law without shame.


Favourite blogs?


I’ll limit it to five:

Iain Dale’s Diary

Guido Fawkes

The Norfolk Blogger

Waendel Journal (now sadly closed)

Spectator Coffee House (Frazer Nelson)

What inspired you to go into politics?

Frustration that I felt I had no control over my life. I hate being told what to do by the government. Unfortunately they are doing so with greater frequency. As it happens I’ve just had a third Wheelie bin delivered while writing this - great.

What led you into becoming a climate change sceptic and, assuming you agree with many that the climate is changing for the worse, what would you suggest to help try and prevent the disasters involved?

Yes I do believe the climate is changing. Is it man made? I don’t know. Could it be a natural cycle caused by the sun’s output? Possibly. Is it worth spending untold sums of money to fight it? Probably not. I guess you could say I became a sceptic because I simply don’t believe man is to blame or that we should waste money fighting it.

Some will think this position to be ignorant. I ask those people to please watch this video:

COOL IT! - It could make you think twice.

What are the pros and cons of an English Parliament?

For me it is purely a matter of English votes on English matters. The main pro would be to stop non English MPs voting down policies which would be beneficial to England. I can’t see any cons. This could be easily achieved by not allowing non English MPs to vote on matters that they already vote on in their respective countries.

Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

I’d like to spend a year split between Japan and China. Just me, a rucksack and a load of cash. I’d like to see the cherry blossom, the gardens, the mountains, and generally soak up the history.

Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

I went to Aruba in 1989, it was at the time a beautiful untouched (ish) Caribbean paradise. I hope it hasn’t changed too much.

Who, excluding the present leader, do you regard as the best Conservative Party leader, and if different, the best Prime Minister?

I think if wasn’t for David Cameron, I’d like to see Eric Pickles as Prime Minister. (I feel he could be another much needed Churchill figure).

Which political figure (apart from Margaret Thatcher) has been your greatest inspiration?

David Davis - People were cynical about him stepping down to fight for our liberties, but I truly believe he was genuine in his intent.

Favourite Bond movie?

Moonraker.

Favourite Doctor Who?

Tom Baker

Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Chocolate.

Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

My chemical romance.

In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

Oxford. For the history.

Favourite national newspaper?

Torygraph.

What would you say your hobbies were?

Reading, Blogging, Golf

And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
The Gap Sequence - Stephen Donaldson
The wheel of time series - Robert Jordan

The Black Parade - My chemical romance
In the end - Linkin Park
Inside - Stiltskin

1 comment:

Daily Referendum said...

Thanks Paul:)