Thursday, March 05, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part LXIV: Alan Collins

(Alan Collins)

Alan Collins: I am a 19 year-old Law undergraduate at the University of Kent. I am also the Twydall Ward Youth Co-ordinator for the Conservative Party in Gillingham and Rainham.

I have been blogging for nearly two-and-a-half years and receive a respectable number of hits each month.

I have also been a member of the Air Cadet Organisation for six years and currently hold the highest rank available, Cadet Warrant Officer.



What made you decide to start blogging?

I was approached by my a local councillor to help campaign in a forthcoming council election. Wanting to find out more, I searched for information on him and came across blogs such as ConservativeHome and Iain Dale's Diary and on a whim set up my own blog to air my opinions.


What is your best blogging experience?

During the selection process for our Parliamentary Candidate, I was invited onto the Selection Committee and was complimented on my blog by a number of the candidates.


And your worst?

I once posted my opinions on my blog about something which had happened at Cadets. The member of staff in question took offence and reported me. However, the results of the subsequent investigation came through and no action was taken against me.


What do you regard as your best blog entry?

I don't think that there's one that stands out as particularly impressive or even close to. However, I do try to be on the pulse of local issues and have sometimes beaten the local media to certain stories. One memorable one that sticks out are the results of a local council by-election last year.


Favourite blogs?

I have no one favourite blog as such. I just read around the commentary of what's happening at the time. Nationally, though, I most frequently visit ConservativeHome and locally John Ward in Medway.


What inspired you to go into politics?

I've always been interested in current affairs and what's going on in the world around us. In the end I got so fed up of what the Government was doing that I decided to step foot into politics with a view to, hopefully one day, be able to change things for the better.


What's the difference between invading Iraq and invading Zimbabwe?

The thing with Zimbabwe is that there is plenty of evidence to suggest the mistreatment of the people of Zimbabwe. The current mess in Iraq has proved how badly planned the invasion was.


You say that you want to see the retirement age raised. Do you have a particular age in mind. Say for example 70 or 75?

People should be free to retire at whatever age they please, particularly given the volitility of the economy and the increasing costs of retirement. I don't personally have an age in mind, people should have the freedom to choose themselves.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

Australia. Nowhere else really appeals to me that much. Although I would like to visit the Falkland Islands and maybe go on a couple of Battlefield Tours in Europe.


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

I would love to go to Florida again - I love the Country and the people. I have been every year for the past three years and this year will be the first I'm not going. I'd love to be there for my 21st birthday.


Who, excluding the present leader and Prime Minister, do you regard as the best British Prime Minister, and if different, the best Conservative leader?

Aside from Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher, I admire Clement Attlee's policies for working class people and William Hague's leadership. Had it not been for the 1997 obliteration at the polls, and a dodgy campaign focus, I think he would have stood a good chance of winning.


Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration?

That would probably be Benazir Bhutto. When I met her she was down-to-earth and very friendly. However politically she was fierce and always fought hard for the people of Pakistan. She knew the risks in that volatile country, but it didn't stop her from appearing in public and being prominent on the political scene.


Favourite Bond movie?

Probably the first one I saw - Licence to Kill. I have watched it so many times I've lost count. Not that I count how many times I watch films, of course.


Favorite Doctor Who?

I've only seen the Eccleston and Tennant series and choosing between them is hard. They both had their unique styles and both were good, however I think Tennant would have to win.


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

You simply cannot beat mint choc chip, so both of them two. Vanilla is too plain for my liking.


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

Difficult there's a lot of bands I'd like to see, but I think the one I'd like to see first would have to be Panic! At The Disco.


In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

I went up to Oxford to campaign on the Henley by-election campaign and fell in love with the area so it would have to be there.


Favourite national newspaper?

It would probably be The Times. The Daily Express would have been a close second, but I think the quality has dropped in recent years.


What would you say your hobbies were?

I don't really do much in the way of anything anymore because of having to study so much for Uni. However, I do enjoy spending time just exploring what the Internet has to offer and (if it counts as a hobby) spending time with my girlfriend.


And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

Songs are difficult. Having done some occasional DJ work I play and listen to so many it's hard to choose favourites. However, at the moment I'd probably say Blowing In The Wind by Bob Dylan, Ballroom Blitz by Sweet and When I See You Smile by Bad English.
Books are easier. Anything by John Grisham, but particularly The Chamber, Blackout by Chris Ryan and The Audacity Of Hope by Barack Obama.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Florida isn't a country. It's a state in America.