Saturday, April 04, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part XC: Francesca

(Charles Schultz)

Francesca: Born and brought up near the birth place of Fellini and Hugo Pratt, I left the ‘bel paese’ for the UK a long time ago. I have resided in all the nations of the UK and appreciate something of each. I can be spotted with a tea pot in Cardiff ’s County Hall or walking in Bute Park on a sunny day. I’ve given up growing up a long time ago, so that I can do something wiser with my future.




What made you decide to start blogging?

I was asked by Peter Black.


What is your best blogging experience?

Being abused by a stripper! I left a comment on the Guardian website on an article written by a stripper/lap dancer criticising the lack of depth of her analysis and non-existent argument. She didn’t appreciate my comments and called me names, which I thought was beautifully ironic.


And your worst?

Whenever I’m misrepresented or not understood.


What do you regard as your best blog entry?

My review of the film Sunshine still makes me laugh.

http://paswonky.blogspot.com/2007/06/sunshine-review-well-sort-of.html


Favourite blogs?

Sandro Magister (in Italian). He’s a journalist at the Espresso and covers the poplitics of the Vatican . http://magister.blogautore.espresso.repubblica.it/


What inspired you to go into politics?

The dedication I saw in the Lib Dems around me.


You recently blogged about the BBC and making apologies. Do you think the BBC tend to apologise for the wrong things?

I’m told the BBC have introduced a whole set of safeguards and guidelines for their journalists making their job a nightmare whilst the people who made the original mess go pretty much unscathed. If you allow a ‘marxist’ analysis, hierarchical power structures (in the media, finance, politics …) allow and even foster a culture where those at the top do whatever they want and are almost asked to cross the line, whilst the others have to follow a different set of rules. That’s what keeps the hierarchies in place. A little more accountability and transparency in the film/fashion/media industry as well as in the financial world would be beneficial.



How hopeful are you about the possibility of peace in the Middle East ?

No. I think they’ll keep fighting, they’ll just find new lies to justify it.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

The North Pole.


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Turin . I’d love to go back and be enveloped in the fog while reading in a turn of the century cafĂ©.



Who, excluding the present leader, do you regard as the best Liberal Democrat/Liberal/SDP Party leader, and if different, the best Prime Minister?

Vince Cable



Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration?

Martin Luther King.



Favourite Bond movie?

Sorry, I don’t do Bond, although I like Adolfo Cieli with the white cat. The best film ever is Murnau’s Faust.



Favorite Doctor Who?

No Dr Who. For me either. From Yes, Minister – A victory for democracy and from Father Ted – The passion of St. Tibulus.


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

(Lindt) chocolate.


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

I mostly like classical music and jazz. The Berliners conducted by Furtwangler.


In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford , Cambridge , or Barsby, Leics..?

Pembrokeshire!


Favourite national newspaper?

FT although they need to improve their website and make the magazine more ‘meaty’.


What would you say your hobbies were?

reading, writing, watching old films, walking.


And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?


Music: Beethoven’s symphony N.3; Vivaldi’s four seasons; Lucio Dalla’s Tra vent’anni.

Books: I take Dante is barred too, so it’ll be anything by Arthur Schnitzler, Plato’s Symposium and George Eliot’s Middlemarch. For my choice of graphic novels, see the blog.

No comments: