Sunday, April 05, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part XCI: Cactus Kate

(Cactus Kate)

Cactus Kate is in her early 30's, lives in Hong Kong and works as a lawyer after four years of cubicle hell of the PricewaterhouseCoopers tax division in New Zealand. Thanks to the hell of the past Labour government in New Zealand from 1999 to 2008, she has now spent more time working out of her birth country of New Zealand than in it and more than a third of the year is spent travelling around the world for work to the Caribbean, America, Europe and the South Pacific. In her spare time at nights and weekends she is the author of www.asianinvasion2006.blogspot.com and is a columnist in New Zealand daily newspaper, The Dominion Post. She describes her blog as a random collection of ACT leaning right-wing political views, travelling stories, relationship advice and R18 discussion smattered with a love of good gossip, Cricket and Manchester United.

What do you think makes a successful blogger?

Good writing. Can't write - don't blog. Readers like clear concise opinionated work. Don't sit on the fence as the beauty of the blog is that if readers want the opposite viewpoint to yours they can go read it on another blog and make up their own mind. Like that.


What is your best blogging experience?

Meeting hot male readers of your blog. Lets face it people write in the hope to get laid or paid and there's precious little money in blogging. The best we can hope for is to get some action.


And your worst?

Being introduced to people as "(sigh)...and this is Cactus Kate". Just hate it.

Why blogspot?

David Farrar (www.kiwiblog.co.nz) told me. Blogspot is easy to use. I haven't managed to delete anything I shouldn't of yet.


Favourite blogs?

www.whaleoil.co.nz

Is there a lot of left wing bias in the New Zealand media?

Not really, it's just whinging from the masses as both the two main political parties Labour and National are basically centrist parties. I have blogged on it. New Zealand journalists are deep down just anarchists. Eventually they get sick of the pinkos and turn on them as well. That happened last year in New Zealand. Joy to watch.


How would you define the New Zealand blogosphere?

Dyslexic for most part. Very few bloggers actually write original material they are newsfeeds for the stuff.co.nz website or nzherald.co.nz. If you can't string 1000 words together in quick time you should stick to something like computer gaming, Playstation or online dating for fun.


Not an original question I know, but I am intrigued. Why "Cactus Kate"?

Haven't met me obviously. I write a column for the Dominion Post in New Zealand. They asked me to come up with a pseudonym. Self awareness is a good trait.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

Was Monaco and Dubai but went to both last year. I've been pretty much everywhere where I want to go. There are a lot of places I never wish to visit. I wanted to go to India for the IPL (Indian Premier League) but that all went pear shaped.


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

New York, every year for shopping. Which I do. And the Caribbean. Anguilla is my favourite spot for relaxation.


Do you have a favourite political figure in history?

None that stand out. A good politician is a low taxing, business minded, quiet non-interventionalist. There's not many of those around. The Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang is impressive in this regard. I would say Sir Roger Douglas but he never managed to get the job done.


Which figure has been your greatest inspiration?

Myself. It's important to learn as you get older that no one should inspire you more than yourself.


Favourite Bond movie?

They get better so Quantum of Solace. I can't watch the old ones as the gadgets aren't cool enough and they are black and white and that just irritates me. I loved Pierce Brosnan until I heard him sing in Mamma Mia and now I find him one of the unsexiest men in the world. Daniel Craig is hot. And Judi Dench as M is just the world's most wonderful dark female character.


Favourite Doctor Who?

How did you know about that? I thought I had kept him quiet. No, I have never watched even an episode of Doctor Who. It conflicted with Grange Hill growing up and I liked Tucker better.


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

I have skin allergies to flavoured condoms and insist on Durex featherlite, so plain flavour.


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

Queen. With Freddie Mercury. At Wembley. I think that would have been the pinnacle of concert-going perfection.


In terms of visiting for the weekend, New York, Harvard, or Chicago?

New York. Totally. Utterly. Completely. And I would miss the plane on Sunday on purpose. Who on earth wants to go to Harvard unless they are studying? And Chicago the windy city?? Been to Wellington in New Zealand for that.


Favourite national newspaper?

Dominion Post, especially fortnightly on a Thursday when I am in it. Internationally I would go for The Sun. Love the trash, it's completely fabulous. Dream paper. Would love to write for it. Anything that can make Jade Goody and Jordan that interesting I want to be a part of.


What would you say your hobbies were?

Blogging and watching television with gym sessions getting in the way. It's incredibly anti-pseudointellectual but I love television. Senseless television. I suppose everyone answers with reading, but I read all day for work as a lawyer.


And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

I prefer non-fiction so both of those are out. Favourites are a moving target depending on my mood but I stopped recreational fictional reading at age 9 when I got to the last Famous Five book (that I would read when my mother had put me to bed with the night light). All that late night bad light reading ruined my eyesight.

Books - passport, Cricket annuals and anything from Piers Morgan

Songs - Chasing Cars from Snow Patrol, Bad, Bad Leroy Brown from Sinatra, Just The Way You Are Barry White version.

No comments: