Sunday, May 03, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CXIII: Subrosa

Subrosa describes her blog, as "A Dundee Wifey's View of Scottish Politics"



What made you decide to start blogging?

The young student who writes Advanced Media Watch. He said he started his during his lunch break. I’d quite forgotten student lunch breaks can span from 11am to 5pm, so I struggled with the technology for many hours. Also I thought it important that the voice of the 60+ woman was heard as this group are few and far between on the Scottish political blogging scene.


What is your best blogging experience?

The pleasure of reading comments and the ability to debate with such a variety of opinions from my very informed readers.


And your worst?

A spammer who recently tried to destroy it.


What do you regard as your best blog entry?

I will leave that for my readers to decide if you don’t mind.


Favourite blogs?

Too many to list here but I read Moridura, Planet Politics, Burning Our Money, Lallands Peat Worrier, Daily Referendum, Craig Murray, Key bored Warrior, Lobbydog, aangirfan and others every day if I can.


What inspired you to go into politics?

When I returned to Scotland in the 80s I felt many people had a somewhat defeated attitude but few recognised it. Also, having lived in small independent countries such as Switzerland, I knew Scotland was capable of taking full control of her future and with some success. It’s only now I think people are beginning to realise an independent Scotland is possible.


How do you see the SNP's relationship with Labour within the next five years?

Labour in Scotland does have to change and radically. Perhaps in five years time the younger generation will take a greater part because they do need to rid themselves of the ‘power at any price’ type of MP and MSP. The SNP appear to be happy to work with any party and that can’t be a bad thing.

.

How well would you say the Scottish Parliament has served the people of Scotland over the past decade?

Fairly well, room for improvement, it needs greater powers to do a ‘proper’ job as a parliament.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

Brazil. My school geography teacher said they made good coffee there.


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Verona. I’ve visited 3 times and still haven’t seen enough of its hidden gems. March or October are my favourite months for visiting Europe. Many other places also demand a revisit but Verona is top of the list.


Who, excluding the present SNP leader and First Minister, do you regard as the best First Minister, and who do you regard as the best SNP leader?

If I have to answer I would say Donald Dewar but none of the labour First Ministers has really impressed me because their main interest is carrying out the wishes of London labour and not Scotland. Winnie Ewing may have made a good SNP leader but I don’t think she was interested in the position.


Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration?

Harold Wilson. With hindsight he was the first politician to understand the power of television and he used it extremely well. In those days I had little interest in politics.


Favourite Bond movie?

Goldfinger


Favourite Doctor Who?

Never watched it


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Vanilla


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

Glenn Miller Orchestra


In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

Barsby if I have to choose


Favourite national newspaper?

Times and Dundee Courier


What would you say your hobbies were?

Bridge

Dancing

Reading

Gardening, I won’t bore you further


And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books

(Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

The Magic of Love - Lionel Ritchie/Pavarotti

Caravan - Barbara Dickson

Blow the Wind Southerly - Kathleen Ferrier

Most books by Val McDermid, Quentin Jardine and James Patterson

3 comments:

Aye We Can ! said...

subrosa - Scotland's Iain Dale without the media hype

Right on most things - except ( reading her answers) Labour in Scotland's ability to rebew itself through a younger generation. The good guys in the younger generation are all in the SNP - or bloggers!

scunnert said...

I think Subrosa is somewhat to the left of Iain Dale AWC. Weell done Subrosa - good answers.

Aye We Can ! said...

It was subrosa's status, not her politics I was refering to. she is clearly to the left of iain dale - like 95% of scotland!