Thursday, May 28, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CXXIV: Sam Ellis

(Sam Ellis)

Sam Ellis, from Nottinghamshire, is the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the UK Youth Parliament and has been involved with the UK Youth Parliament since 2003 in various roles. Sam is a previous member of the the UK Youth Parliament and holds a degree in Modern World History from the University of Central Lancashire. He likes make sure he blogs on a variety of subjects to politics, youth issues... And Britain’s Got Talent or the X-Factor

What made you decide to start blogging?

To be fair, I think I was trying to do anything to avoid doing university coursework. I knew that there were blogs out there and I decided to give it a go.

What is your best blogging experience?

For me that was when I got to blog about the UK Youth Parliament being allowed to sit in the House of Commons Chamber. I’m looking forward to being able to blog after the actual event later this year.

http://samuelellis.blogspot.com/2009/03/uk-youth-parliament-to-sit-in-house-of.htm
And your worst?


I’m not sure I’ve got one to be honest. I haven’t had any comments that have needed deleted so I think I’m been quite lucky.

What do you regard as your best blog entry?

For me my best blog entry had to be one I wrote about a planning application for a wind farm near my village, http://samuelellis.blogspot.com/2009/04/yes-to-wind-farms.html My reason for choosing that one is because of the mini debate it produced in the comments section. I also think that’s my entry with the most comments!

Favourite blogs?

There are three blogs I read daily. Tom Harris MP, Iain Dale and the blog that’s written by my old housemate at uni, Matt Newman (www.fetlersblog.co.uk)


What inspired you to go into politics?

As corny as it sounds, it’s because I wanted to make a difference I got involved with politics when I was 15 and it was at a time when no one had heard about the UK Youth Parliament. It was important for me to make sure an organisation like that was heard. As time has gone on I’ve discovered more and more that its exciting to be a part of the process.


How did you get involved with the UK Youth Parliament?

I got involved with the UK Youth Parliament back in 2003, when I was elected as a Member of Youth Parliament when I was 16. I heard about it from a Youth Worker from Nottinghamshire County Council that my Mum knew. It’s probably a lot harder to get elected to the UK Youth Parliament now as we have record number of young people standing in every local authority throughout England.


Is there evidence that the Parliament fosters fresh interest amongst young people, as opposed to attracting those who are already interested in politics?

When I’ve met Members of Youth Parliament at our events throughout the country I’ve been amazed at the young people who attend. Not all of the members are die hard party political supporters, and I think a lot of them want to be involved because of their local experiences, They are fed up with the contest negative image that young people get.

Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

As crazy as it sounds, I’d love to visit North Korea as it’s so mysterious. Realistically though, I would like to visit Japan.


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Australia without a doubt. I spent 4 weeks there back in 2002 and it wasn’t nearly enough time to even do Sydney, let along anywhere else!

Who, excluding the present leader and Prime Minister, do you regard as the best British Prime Minister, and if different, the best Labour leader?

Clement Atlee without a doubt. I think the National Health Service has to be best service ever created by any government, not just in Britain but worldwide, that any country has brought in.

Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration?

I wouldn’t call him an inspiration as such but I greatly admire John Prescott. This has a man who hasn’t let his public image ever stop him. He’s taken a lot of flack but he’s always worked hard and only used his own merits to raise from the ships to become Deputy Prime Minister.


Favourite Bond movie?

eek... I’m not a Bond fan

Favorite Doctor Who?

I still must be the only person who doesn’t watch Doctor Who... Sorry!


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Mint... Unless I had the option for all three in the same bowl!


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

The greatest band to have ever lived, The Beatles.


In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

I’ve never been to Cambridge so I’d choose there.


Favourite national newspaper?

I tend to read two, The Daily Mirror and The Guardian


What would you say your hobbies were?

When I cane I like to go to the theatre (though it’s been a while). I also enjoy reading and want to try and get back into Badminton which I played at uni, but have since stopped. I also like to try and expand my random knowledge of the railways.

And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

My three favourite songs would be;

-Let it be (The Beatles)
-Faith (George Michael)
-Home (Michael Buble)

My three favourite books are;

-Notes from a Small Island (Bill Bryson)
-Notes from a Big Country (Billy Bryson)
-The Sound of Laughter (Peter Kay)

All very lighthearted and makes me laugh.

No comments: