Sunday, May 31, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CXXVI: Christopher Aldous

(Christopher Aldous)

Christopher Aldous: Hi my name is Christopher Aldous aged thirty four and I write the blog We Don’t do God

I have been very happily married to Jo for the last 4 years and Dad to three wonderful children Jord, Bethany & Grace.

I am very strong advocate and believer that everybody no matter what walk of life they come from, what sex they are, or colour of skin or disability that they may have should have an equal chance and be given the same opportunities in life. This belief has been formed through my strong Christian faith of virtually twenty years and my active interest in politics over the last eleven years.
My family is my life and my friends bring extra joy to my day to day life.Out of faith, politics and family I am a passionate and addicted fan of Everton Football club. Depending on their results my mood can either be elated or foul for the next day or so. I also enjoy cricket to the extent I can watch a test match all the way through. Whilst away from sport computing and photography are newish hobbies of mine.



What made you decide to start blogging?

It is an interest I have had for a couple of years now, but until recently did not have a fresh idea for starting a blog. I didn’t just want to copy other blogs that had proved successful. I wanted then and want now my blog to initiate debate between like minded and non like minded people also.


What is your best blogging experience?

The ability on a daily basis to read other peoples blogs on a variety of subjects, and their opinions too even if I disagree with them strongly.


And your worst?

Although not personally involved for me it has to be the Mcbride affair. For me it showed all the bad side of what politics can be negative and personal.


What do you regard as your best blog entrry?

I wouldn’t say I have yet. I am very much at a learning stage of the blogosphere. I have though various ideas of future blogs.


Favourite blogs?

Iain Dale, Alastair Campbell, Mars Hill, and Ethical Superstore community blog


What inspired you to go into politics?

It was all a bit of a joke really. In the run up to the 1997 election my Manager at work was a staunch Tory and it drove a colleague and me mad as he would harp on about how great they were all the time. So my colleague and I looked in to Labour Party politics so we had points to argue back at our Manager and just to wind him up a bit further we became members of the Labour party. On Election Day we dressed our desk up in red balloons, streamers and Labour posters and rosettes. I am sure you can imagine our smugness when we went into the work the day after the election win!! So this is how I began looking into politics and it wetted my appetite and I continued then and took it more seriously.


Having recently started your blog, what are your plans for it?

I have some long term plans for the blog like a weekly features including green tip of the week & weekly news review but the art of blogging is you don’t know what is going to be at the forefront of the news from one day to another.


Having recently blogged about freedoms in
China, how long do you think it will be before there is democracy in the country?

Many years maybe not even in this generation, but there has been small insights into this happening, although a setback this week is that as I understand it blogs have been banned from China.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

America & in particular New York


Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Togo, Africa, and also Africa in more general.


Who, excluding the present leader and Prime Minister, do you regard as the best British Prime Minister, and if different, the best Labour leader?

Tony Blair


Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration

Tony Blair and more recently Barack Obama


Favourite Bond movie?

Not Really a Bond Fan.


Favorite Doctor Who?

Am I sad for not following Dr Who.


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Chocolate


Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

U2


In terms of visiting for the weekend,
Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

Oxford


Favourite national newspaper?

Sunday times, primarily for a day in the life feature


What would you say your hobbies were?

Computing, Photography, Football & Cricket


And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books
(Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

Songs:-

Angels by Robbie Williams – (always reminds me of my mother and the support she has given me)

Amazing Grace – (The first verse describes my relationship with God)

Ashes by Embrace (Reminds me of 2005, a year where I married Jo, Everton finished 4th in the premier, England won the ashes & Labour won a historic third term.)

Books:-

The Shack by William Young

Rivals by James Naughtie

One hit wonder by Lisa Jewell

No comments: