Monday, July 20, 2009

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CXXXIII: Michael Greenwell

Michael Greenwell is a filmmaker and, some might say, a bit of a Renaissance man. His blog can be found here


What made you decide to start blogging?

I had had some articles published on various sites before I started blogging but I was still nervous about sending things away. I thought it would be better just to start my own site. It has worked out quite well and now there are a few sites that publish me regularly.



What is your best blogging experience?


Probably the opportunity to meet some of the other bloggers I like. It is also always nice when people leave comments appreciating what you have done.



And your worst?


Days when I can't think of anything to say.


What do you regard as your best blog entry?



Favourite blogs?

The Curmudgeon, Flying Rodent, The Scottish Patient


What inspired you to go into politics?

I am not sure I am 'in' politics.


Out of the films you have made, is there one you are particually proud of?

The film about animal extinctions is the one that I think is most important. You can watch it here . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89poKFtxDIM


You recently blogged about a desire to see "None of the Above"on ballot papers. Difficult for discernment surely, when those who would put their cross there would hold a wide variety of political opinions ?

That is part of the point. If enough people did it then the next time there would be a wider range of candidates.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?


I have never been to South America but I would love to go.



Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?


Nepal, for the people and for the place.


Who, excluding the present leader and Prime Minister, do you regard as the best British Prime Minister, and if different, the best Labour leader?

I definitely don't have a favourite Prime Minister and can only answer this question by saying whichever one did the least damage.


Which political figure has been your greatest inspiration?


A Colombian trade unionist that I saw speaking at a conference. She was well aware that what she was doing [trying to organise a Union] could lead to her death but that certainly wasn't going to stop her.



Favourite Bond movie?


I don't really like Bond films. If they were to make a realistic secret agent film these days it would have to be about people bribing bankers and insider dealing but it is difficult to fit tanks driving down the street into that kind of story.



Favourite Doctor Who?


One of my friends likes it a lot, I can take it or leave it so I have never watched it enough to make a decision on that.



Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?


I like mint choc chip ice cream.



Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?


The Happy Mondays. I saw them about 2 years ago on their comeback tour and it was really disappointing. I wish I could have seen them in the late 80s.



In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?


Never been to Barsby or Leicester. So it is Oxford or Cambridge and both are very nice but to be honest I would rather go to one of the Scottish islands or somewhere in the Highlands than either of them.



Favourite national newspaper?




What would you say your hobbies were?

Listening to music and going to the Scottish countryside if I have the opportunity. Both at the same time is great.

And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

I don't really like organising things into favourites. However, there are certain books I think are indispensable and three of those would be 1984, Aldous Huxley's Island and Derrick Jensen's Endgame frpm which I will give you this quote..
"Those in power have made it so we have to pay simply to exist on the planet. We have to pay for a place to sleep, and we have to pay for food. If we don't, people with guns come and force us to pay. That's violent."
As for favourite songs then it depends entirely on mood but my 3 most listened to songs on my computer are Desmond Dekker Keep a Cool Head, Jose Gonzalez Stay in the Shadeand Bach Cello Suite number 5

No comments: