Monday, August 15, 2011

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CLI: Raeven

As Mars Hill is becoming a team effort, I felt it was good that you got to know some of the team a bit, so it is that they have agreed to be interviewed for the Twenty Questions series. First up is Raeven, who also runs the A Rose in the Wilderness blog

 What made you decide to start blogging?

I had been skeptical about blogging in the past - so many people with so little to say - but actually, everyone has a unique voice that should be heard, and while I was encouraging others to speak out, I was reminded that my voice is special too - and how better to articulate the things you believe than in the Blogosphere?


What is your best blogging experience?

I once wrote a response to a 'Thought for the Day' type piece, and a vicar friend of mine decided he wanted to include my ideas in a Sunday sermon!


And your worst?

None yet, but even if I do get some negative/hurtful responses to what I say, at least I've said it!


What do you regard as your best blog entry?


Each blog post of mine is my favourite until I write the next, because it resonated with me at that moment, and I think that    is what matters to me...I think my best blog posts are those that resonate with others too, perhaps realising that the small,  silent opinion you hold is shared by other like minded souls. 

Favourite blogs?

I have a few favourites, but my top three of the moment:

www.matthewtaylorsblog.com/  – Politics, brains, social action and the day to day life of the RSA's chief executive. 
http://www.simonparke.com/bloggers/ - Bloggers of the Round Table - everyday reflections from unconventional minds
http://www.sarahdenordwall.blogspot.com/ - from my favourite performance poet


What inspired you to start writing?

Strange thing is, I don't remember a time when I didn't write, so I'm not sure what inspired me to start...but there are a lot of people who inspire me to continue - my top two are Sarah de Nordwall of Bardschool fame and  Emi Beth Caddy, my writing buddy who is incredibly talented herself, but there are many, many others...Thanks!

You seem to have a yen for poetry, do you have any favourite poets?



I tend to have favourite poems, rather than favourite poets, and this is the one that resonated with me most:

Freedom, William Stafford
Freedom is not following a river.
                 Freedom is following a river
                      though, if you want to.

                 It is deciding now by what happens now.
                 It is knowing that luck makes a difference.

                 No leader is free; no follower is free--
                      the rest of us can often be free.
                 Most of the world are living by 
                 creeds too odd, chancy, and habit-forming
                      to be worth arguing about by reason.

                 If you are oppressed, wake up about
                 four in the morning; most places
                 you can usually be free some of the time 

if you wake up before other people. 




What are the best and worst things about living in London?





The best things are the reasons everyone comes to London - the sheer amount of life and colour and magic happening all the time that can be sought out or stumbled upon every day.  The worst things come back to me when I'm feeling homesick for a small Island, like the lack of true, close community, the air of cynicism that descends too often, and the lack of space, silence and sky - hard to see the stars with streetlights drowning out the sky.


Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?


I'm not much of a traveler - I've been to Europe and Canada and enjoyed it so much at the time, but I find so much richness just outside my front door that I don't dream of far horizons often! If I had the chance I would return to Italy and see more of the artistic and architectural legacy of a rich and beautiful religion - though maybe not in tourist season!




Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

Oops...answered that one above!




Do you have a favourite political figure in history?

...



Which Christian figure has been your greatest inspiration?

I think I'm going to answer these two questions with the same answer. Jesus seems to have had the best way of dealing with the politics of his day, and the politicians - I don't think anyone sense has been so talented at cutting through the crap (am I allowed to say crap on this blog?) and getting to the real issues. I think this inspires me too...I love dealing with people when they are being real, and open and honest about where they are and what they think...one of the reasons I write too.



Favourite Bond movie?

The World Is Not Enough


Favorite Doctor Who?


I'm really liking the current Doctor - I think Matt Smith has really nailed the genius child aspect of the character!


Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

If its ice-cream, then mint every time...though milk-choc-chip swirl makes the choice irrelevant...




Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

I fulfilled a dream last year by going to see my all time favourite band - Jon Bon Jovi! It really was an incredible experience...and one I wouldn't mind repeating!



In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?



 Cambridge, definitely...I love the richness and academic insanity...and the lazy days on the river...




Favourite national newspaper?



I don't actually read the newspaper - I get all my news from the BBC website every morning.



What would you say your hobbies were?



 Reading, cooking, writing 




And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?



I'm a total book geek, and go through a book every two days, so this is a tough question! I love Lisa Jewell, because her writing is so honest and real - Jasper Fforde creates amazing worlds that it is so easy to get drawn into...I think those two count for about 20 books so...

Songs again is a tough question, because what I listen to matches my mood, but Karl Jenkins, Andrea Bocielli and Lady Gaga are 

No comments: