Thursday, January 12, 2012

Twenty Questions to a Fellow Blogger Part CLIII: Tom Scholes-Fogg


Tom Scholes-Fogg is the Co-Editor of the book "What Next for Labour? Ideas for a New Generation". Formerly trained as a Chef at the Hilton, Tom has held various positions in the Labour Party at branch, constituency, and district level. His blog/website can be found here.


What made you decide to start blogging?

I started blogging in 2009. I read many blogs as I still do and thought why not set up my own blog and see if anybody is interested in what I have to say. I would highly recommend people to set up a blog but there is one problem.....it is addictive.


What is your best blogging experience?

Probably the article I published about Cameron’s NHS Privatisation meeting. 


 And your worst?

I would say the piece I published about the student protests in 2010, I perhaps could have phrased my points better.
 


What do you regard as your best blog entry?

The piece I published in January 2010 about David Cameron’s NHS Privatisation meeting. It is my most read blog to date. Sadly what I said in that blog is starting to come true.


Favourite blogs?

Guido, Conservative home, Alastair Campbell and Labour Uncut.



What made you decide to go into politics?

I accidently ‘fell into’ politics. I originally trained as a chef and it is only through doing impressions that I started listening to what politicians were saying. With my background and the values, I joined the Labour Party.


What policies do you think Labour should pursue to make them electable to both Middle Class, and C2 voters?

My colleague and I tackle this very issue in ‘What next for Labour?’. I’ll try and reduce my answer from 296 pages to a few lines.

Labour need to restore their economic credibility, remain pro-business, support SMEs, and address the bread and butter issues relevant to C2DE voters such as housing, immigration and jobs.


You mention a no of political issues on your blog that mean a great deal to you. Which particular issue stands out most of all for you?

I’m very passionate about the armed and emergency services. For me it would be supporting our services much more. I think politicians need to work together on this rather than trying to score petty political points. Our service personnel do a fantastic job and we should be doing more for them.



Is there anywhere abroad which you haven't been to, that you would like to visit?

Israel.



Is there anywhere abroad you have visited, that you would love to revisit?

I love France, particularly Normandy. I have been many times and I plan to visit again very soon.



Bar the present one, who is your favourite Labour leader, and if different, your favourite Prime Minister?

This is a tough one as a number of leaders have done a good job so it is difficult to pick one. I would say Clem Attlee is my favourite Labour leader followed by John Smith, and Tony Blair my favourite Prime Minister.



Which Christian figure has been your greatest inspiration?

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams talks a lot of sense.



Favourite Bond movie?

Tomorrow never dies.



Favorite Doctor Who?

I am not a fan of Dr Who.....dare I say that?



Chocolate, vanilla, or mint?

Chocolate! Definitely. Everybody loves chocolate.



Which Band, past or present, would you most like to see in concert?

I would have loved to see the Beatles.



In terms of visiting for the weekend, Oxford, Cambridge, or Barsby, Leics..?

Oxford. I know a few chaps who live in Oxford and I keep saying I’ll visit.



Favourite national newspaper?

I read a lot of newspapers. Probably the Times.



What would you say your hobbies were?

 Hobbies include royal history, genealogy, tweeting and cooking as I used to be a chef.



And what would you say were your three favourite songs and three favourite books (Bar the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare)?

Songs: Anything from Adele, Feeling Good (Muse), and Just say yes (Snow patrol).

Books: I won’t say my book.....so, the biography of Oskar Schindler, Peter Kay: Sound of Laughter, and the complete works of Charles Dickens.

No comments: