Thursday, June 07, 2012

Exercise Can Help With Depression. But..

I do find this a bit disturbing and it will be awful for those with depression to read and should be more balanced out (although the interview with a man who has had depression, which is on the same page, is worth a listen), but in my experience (I developed an anxiety disorder last year), it has, apart from the odd occasion, helped a great deal but exercise should not be seen as a cure in itself but as a significant part of a cure. Regular 7 1/2 to 8 hours sleep, taking up an interest in a hobby, regular contact with people and not spending too much time alone, all play their part

1 comment:

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I agree - exercise can be part of a cure, but cannot be a cure in and of itself.

I'd have preferred the research to at least acknowledge that exercise is not harmful and it is no where near explicit enough to say that it is still a good thing - depression isn't just a gene thing.