Saturday, October 13, 2012

Billy Graham Endorsing Mitt Romney

I have to say I am very disappointed with this! There is much to commend Billy Graham for in his long ministry, but I have grave concerns about the effect of any Pastor, Priest, or full-time Evangelist, commending a particular political party or candidate unless there is an extreme situation, like a dictatorship or a nation where there is only a pretence of Democracy, such as Zimbabwe, or the Phillippines under Marcos!  Billy Graham has crossed a line in my view and that saddens me.
Does this mean that I think Christians should not get involved in politics? Not at all and I would be hypocritical if I advocated that, if anything Christians should, but there is broad politics and there is party politics, and while I would willingly advocate Christian involvement in party politics, I would draw the line at full time pastors and priests as that gives the impression, if nothing else, of the pulpit telling  people that Christianity is best exemplified in a particular political party and that is insulting to those Christians who support other parties and it demeans the richness of the Gospel and it's inclusivity!

No comments: