Sunday, January 06, 2013

The Gay Bishops Row

It seems of late that there are rows about what makes a good Bishop in the Church of England. Can a Bishop be a woman? Can we have gays as Bishops? If we do, should they be celibate? In this day and age when we seem to be obsessed with sex and sexuality it is hardly surprising that these are major issues that are presented before us
So it is that the Church of England is tackling this issue on Gay Bishops almost directly! The suggestion put forward will anger hardliners on both sides. The Liberals because there is a limit as to what is offered. In other words you can be Gay but celibate, and Evangelicals will hate it because they see it as a compromise and both sides will see it as a fudge and I can totally understand that because when struggling to see the Gospel presented well here in a way that shows Grace and Love it can seem sometimes like woolliness and I hate that!
But we do need to keep certain things in perspective here! The first is that a Bishop should be someone who not only adheres to the Gospel, and therefore most importantly that Christ died for our sins and rose again, but shows Love and Mercy, without which that Bishop will be a clanging cymbal (1 Corinthians 13). I know of at least one Bishop who I found to be superior and patronising  and whilst I likely misjudged him, it reminds me that God judges what is in the hearts of all and many can be found wanting.
The second is that what we have to ask ourselves is, Is there a difference between Homosexual orientation and practice? If so then Evangelicals need to tread very carefully here and not rush towards making judgements which could rebound against them and hurt and alienate many fellow Christians who struggle to maintain standards those said hardliners find far easier to follow.
I am purposely publicly not taking sides here in order to make some points and I will not be thanked for it, but I do so because I believe many on both sides are not looking at each other with Christian Love and concern. "Love your enemies!" Christ said, and a commandment I, and it seems, many of us who profess to be Christian find hard as we always want to add "Except for...", but then who said being a Christian would be easy!

2 comments:

Dale Mcalpine (Cumbria) said...

Paul said : "who said being a Christian would be easy!"

Jesus Christ did :

Mat 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Maybe you should stop speaking up for God regarding sexual ethics before you learn what He has to say first Paul ?

1Cor 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
1Cor 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God

With respect

dale

Complementarian Helen said...

Paul, I applaud your desire to show love & mercy, but this should not be at the expense of God's truth as revealed in the Bible.
Surely a bishop, (and all Christian leaders) should preach the gospel of how to be saved (from the coming wrath 1Thess1:10)first & foremost?

As polititians say at PMQ (!), I refer to the answer I gave some moments ago!: Warning people they are not right with God unless they repent & turn from all known sin including homosexual acts & fantasies is a loving thing to do.

Will you never tell your future children off, & never tell them they are wrong when they disobey, because they might get upset, & that is not consonant with showing love & mercy?

Also with respect!
Helen (of Moresby!)